Polyester Resin over PLA! Should I?

Mitcheg1

I am currently working on a First Order TK (Stormtrooper) helmet from the Force Awakens and to create the hexagonal mesh on the helmet, I 3D printed the mesh in PLA. I was thinking of coating over this with Polyester Resin to secure an seal the mesh to the helmet.

However, realizing that as the resin cures it gets VERY hot, and PLA melts under temp, am hesitant to do this. So question for the experts out there; Should I and if not, is there an alternative material I might use?

Also thought about an Epoxy Resin to coat the PLA with Polyester Resin over for the gloss finish, but worry that might be getting too thick!

HELP!

Try looking up the MSDS for the resin you're thinking of using. PLA melts at around 178º C (352º F), so if your resin kicks well south of that, I wouldn't worry. But I'd also make sure whatever you're using is chemically compatible with PLA, to avoid it attacking your printed piece.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back