Polshing TIE armour help.

Yorkie Fett

Sr Member
OK, I'm assuming this is the right place to post as it relates to TIE armour.

So, I had a couple of nasty scratches in the chest plate of my TIE set up (ABS plastic), so decided to try and get rid of them.

Started with the wet and dry, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000. Then went with Novus 3, then 2 (yep, alot of rubbing!).

Got a nice shine to it, but the treated areas still stand out as a clouded area. Tried some T-Cut, but still won't blend in to the original shine of the armour.

The question is, is this as good as it gets or is there a way to totally get rid of the cloudiness in the black ABS?

There is a plastic cleaner and polish Meguiar's Plastx Polish Cleaner that is an automotive product but works on a lot of automotive plastics. Use a microfiber cloth and a little elbow grease with this stuff and you should get the finish you're looking for.

TazMan2000

Pics would help to see exactly what the issue is. Other than that I would say you may have to go over the entire piece to give it a more uniform finish. I had this happen to a Tie Pilot helmet I used to own. I just decided to go over the entire bucket with plastic polish. I also used a fine shammy cloth used on auto bodies. I took a bit but worth it. Also don't start off with sandpaper but if you have to, always start with the finest (2000 and above) and work down until you have found the right grit to remove the scratches than go back up in grit. Just a trick I learned.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back