Polar Lights USS Enterprise 1/350 buildup

mlsmithjr

Has anybody attempted to accurately light and paint this model kit? I purchased it with that in mind but I'm such a novice I was hoping someone had done it and could share experiences.

It's a huge kit so room for lighting and battery or ac power isn't an issue. But experience with wiring is, not to mention the detailed aztec paint patterns on the exterior.

Maybe there is interest in a group build - a few people buy the kit and we walk through a build together. Just spitballing.

Thanks.

Check out the General Modeling section. Many have done this kit, most popularly Steve Neill did one for a customer and posted some thoughts on it both here and on his site IIRC.

Hope to have one of these one day. :) With a 1/350 Reliant to match!

Years ago, I bought one of the pre-Take 2 versions, so it didn't have the aztec decals.

I opened it, did a test fitting of all the parts, and quietly put it back in the box. It's been sitting there ever since.

I'm terrified of it.

Some day, though... Some day.

I never even finished mine if that gives you any idea of the difficulty level of this! But then again, that had mostly to do with being overwhelmed with the electronics. I think in hindsight, I should have just built it straight out of the box and not worry about biting off more than I could chew with extras.

Here are a few links to refit kits my friend found, he just started to build his Polar Lights 1/350 recently. He did the same thing as you Serenity, he bought it a while back and was intimidated by it, but after seeing a couple builds and youtube videos of it lit up, he finally got to work on it. Good luck with it Mlsmithjr, If I find anything else usefull, I'll share it with you. Also don't be surprised if they move this to the modeling section.
Welcome to Trek Modeler.com
Refit 1:350 scale photoetch detail set from Paragrafix

I'm curious if anyone knows how much one of our experts would charge to build one of these?

I've had one in a box for some time

I've gone through all the links posted here. Wow. At least I'm getting an attitude adjustment now before I start rather than getting knee deep and wondering "what am I doing?!?" I think I'll spend the summer on my tos phaser and prep the Enterprise build for winter.

The aztec painting is what mostly scared me off because I wanted to do it "right". I'm not too great at wiring and electronics (to say the least), so I copied someone else's workaround by buying strings of small LED Christmas lights that could be fed up through the bottom and spread out in the ship. They won't blink in sequence or anything, but at least it'll give the ship some appearance of life inside. You'll have to drill out windows and such for the light to pass through, and give the inner surface a thick dark coat to prevent light from bleeding through, but it's something to consider for ease.

Years ago, I bought one of the pre-Take 2 versions, so it didn't have the aztec decals.

I opened it, did a test fitting of all the parts, and quietly put it back in the box. It's been sitting there ever since.

I'm terrified of it.

I did the same thing!!! :lol:lol:lol

Im just starting my PL refit build.. its definitely intimidating trying to the a movie accurate job, I have refrained from starting a build up thread cause I didn't want the pressure! lol

Im just starting my PL refit build.. its definitely intimidating trying to the a movie accurate job, I have refrained from starting a build up thread cause I didn't want the pressure! lol

yep, me to :lol
it's heck of alot of work. building it is one thing...then theres the paint work, thats going to be the real bugger.

I'm terrified of it.

Me too!:lol Terrified. Only......I taped them all together using packing tape. Then forgot about it.......then months later, tried to untape them. The styrene turned the tape to goo, and the two ships were covered in it. After several soaks in WD-40, then dish soap, I finally got them clean. I think. I hope. Yikes.

But My NX-01 and 1701-A are waiting patiently to be built.......when I'm 50!:lol And I wanted the CVN-65, too..............yeah, that's gonna happen.

Hey all, I'm new here and I joined because I'm about to start my PL E 350 too. I'm still waiting on my Trek Modeler lighting kit. I'm trying to stop smoking so I'm going to do the 350 Bird of Prey and a old school junker AMT "movie" refit from the '80s. If anyone wants my input, from what I've been told and read, the aztec scheme is done with multiple layers and they use pearl and a few colors very close to it. The Trek Modeler does something like 6 layers, but I'm only planning in 3-4, and I might use pearl as a base with a more metallic "panel" color.

My major concern is has anyone had any issues with the nacelles? They've been my nemesis for decades. On the few I've done over the years they tend to never fit right and or droop in drying.

Sorry for being the new guy.

I have 2 of these beasts as well as the new TOS ship.

The first "practice" CX (refit for the non SFB players) will be a custom build with a few minor mods / paint scheme, etc.
If I can figure out the wiring I plan to only have dry dock lighting (port holes, access hatches and hanger and a few other lights)
Most if not all can be done with LED light strips like the TOS uses.

If anyone wants, I can upload some pics of the TM lighting kit when it arrives. I went with the pre fab, pre soldered one with the replacement base with the 2 mode lighting. All it needs is to just be installed and plugged in which is nice since this will be my 2nd lit model.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back