Polar Lights bought out by AMT/ERTL

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
At best, an ironic twist: AMT made the very first Star Trek model kits in the sixties.
icon_lol.gif

At worst, this could be armageddon for Star Trek model fans; AMT/ERTL is not known for the accuracy or love of subject that makes Polar's kits so very very good.
icon_frown.gif

Here's a posting from the PL forum on Hobbytalk by Dave Metzner:

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>What I Know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the facts as I know them.
Nothing repeat, NOTHING has changed in terms of ongoing plans and projects at Polar Lights,
I have just finished the approvals of instruction sheets, packaging, paint and decorations on the body etc for our new 1965 Dodge Coronet which is on schedule.
Thomas has just reviewed the revised 1:350 NCC 1701 Mock-up With the interior parts, and it is going back for tooling!
The Scorpion Mock-up is back in China for a few minor adjustments and the addition of the two figures.
The 1964 GTO kit is being tooled.
The 2004 GTO is being mocked-up.
Captain America remains on schedule.
Fast & Furious Slot cars are shipping on schedule
Bowtie Brigade slot cars are being tooled
Mopar or No Car cars are being approved for tooling.
Several 2005 projects are being designed and mocked-up at this time as well.
The Sun came up this morning and gives every indication that it will do so again tomorrow. As to the future there is not alot I can do about it, except to keep doing my job.
I think that change is inevitable and that change is not always bad.
I've seen dire predictions regarding the future of Polar Lights here, more than once before and they were all wrong, I'm certainly not ready to give in to all the gloom and doom now.
NOW! I have several projects on my work bench that are calling out to me. I'm going to go get off this BB and go build some models, I'd suggest that you all quit worrying about things you can't change and go do the same
Have a good weekend!

Dave </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Dave is a pretty stand up kinda guy. I think he'd say it if it was being sold. The rumor I heard was that the Johnny Lightening line might be sold off to Racing Champions, which bought out AMT/Ertl. They pretty much ditched all the licensed stuff that AMT carried and are focusing on the diecast line from them. Looks like PL will probably be around but the JL stuff may get a new owner.

Raygun

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back