Polar Lights 1:350 Enterprise refit - my build up

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by ob1al, May 7, 2012.

1. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Just picked this kit up.

Oh my...

[​IMG]

I'm planning to light it, although the build itself looks challenging enough!

Wish me luck - any hits or tips would be appreciated from anyone else who has built the kit, also trying to stockpile as many hi-res images of the refit enterprise as I can for reference, so if you have any links or images you can share that would be great.

Al

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Re: Polar Lights 1:350 Enterprise refit

Just got one about a week ago myself.
    I figured since I'm on the preorder for the TOS version I should have both.

Are you going with the TMP version or one of the later versions?
    From what i have read after TMP the pearlesent finish was dulled down or painted over.

3. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I'm going for the TMP version.

The TOS version should be great, it's due later this year isn't it?

4. division 6

division 6 Master Member

I believe so.

I've been doing the google search thing but have mainly found pix of the ST6 UDC version.

I did come across some B/W images from TMP that had the lower hatch open.
    The lower hatch comes on the aftermarket PE set for the model.

5. opal1970

opal1970 Well-Known Member

I think we are all in the same boat, :) I bought the 350 refit end of last year, but first the Galactica hast to be finished and then I want to do the 350 NX-01 before I start on the "Crown Jewel". Would like to say it will stop there, but I just don't see a way around eventually geting the 350 TOS. :cry

there are alot of really nice documented builds of the Refit out there to get ideas from. Regarding the open lower hatch plates, if memory serves me correctly, I think NemVia did something to that effect on his enterprise / DryDock combo.

Really looking forward to your build.

6. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I put up my archive of shots of the 6-foot Refit which I took at Christies' in 2006

https://www.box.com/s/c25d6f58e9142b09a3c4

Help yourself but please credit me if you use them in any context, thanks.

Also keep in mind that you're seeing her in her post-Trek 6 configuration, so if you're replicating her appearance in TMP (or any previous movie, really) there will be big changes you'll have to study up on.

k

7. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Thanks. It's a superb kit, just been dry-fitting all the main parts tonight and the kit's engineering is just a thing of beauty. I'm really looking forward to making some progress on it.

"If my calculations are correct" I'd like to have this all spruced up and out of space dock in plenty good time for the TOS release. A PL TOS 1/350 Enterprise will be a "must build" for me too. I imagine that the build and paint job on TOS will be a little less complex than the refit?

PS thanks phase pistol, perfect!

8. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Most generous Sir.
    Thank You.

9. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Brilliant reference pics of the A, thanks again.:thumbsup

10. phase pistol

The Cloudster site (which had been gone for awhile but now it's back) has got a lot of shots of the miniature in its TMP era as well as post Trek6

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC 1701A (STMP)

11. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Harvested those last week.:D

What's interesting is some of the sites I found have the same pictures as other sites but in color or in better res.

12. Caladonis

Caladonis Member

Thanks for the pics, they will be very handy when I get to mine. So much detail!

I hope the new owner restored it to its peak of perfection - it looks like it may have lost a few battles.

13. opal1970

Thank you very much for sharing.

14. opal1970

Hi Phase Pistol,
    just looked though your pictures, thanks again, they are very helpful. I saw alot of things that I never knew were there before. Never saw inside the Impulse vents before, what were they using there, the tubes look like the the tips of a of those small energy-saver lights.

15. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

A good bit of progress after work tonight.

I've finished the top and bottom saucer sections (not cemented yet as I need to make and add the lighting system later), the neck and the cargo bay door and the front reflector section, as well as loosely assembling the arboretum:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite pleased with my progress so far. Tomorrow night will be dedicated building the cargo bay.

16. phase pistol

The diffuser material seems to be missing there.. you're seeing down into the model, which you would not be able to do normally.

I think those are in fact bent glass neon light tubes.

Here's the USS Excelsior miniature with the "hood up", you can see that it has bent neon tubing all over in there for illumination. Enterprise is probably similar?

[​IMG]

Looking down into 6-ft Enterprise's impulse vents at Christies

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  17. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Here's a shot with the grill in place, and a couple caps from ST:TMP. As Karl says, the ship had neon tube lighting for the interior lights.

18. opal1970

Thanks Phase Pistol
    Thanks Robin,

Neon, never thought of that. Makes sense though, less problems with LED "Hotspots" I suppose. It has been quite a long time since I saw a neon sign close up... or rather said took the time to look at it close up, but don't Neons usually have a light "flimmer" to them? I guess that effect would work rather good though, as engines are a happening place.

19. opal1970

BTW Ob1al,

just a couple tips from my workbench...

unless you are not planning on opening your shuttlebay and/or not using the included shuttles and pods, I can really recommend looking at Federation Models and getting some of his shuttles etc. the overall form is closer to the real thing and the detail is much much better than those in the kit. Only drawback is that they are not hollow, so if you are planning on lighting a shuttle you will either have to hollow one out yourself or use one of the kit shuttles.

there are also two Photoetch kits out there that are very nice to have one from PNT Models and one from Paragrafix. I bought both kits, both kits have very nice pieces that are not found in the other kit but there are quite a few doubled pieces, never-the-less, I find that some of the doubled things are better on the PNT kit and others are better on the Paragrafix kit. I believe both are availible though Starship Modeler. If you are only going to get one, then I would say the Paragrafix kit would be the one to get. (not because it is better, but because you have the dorsel-ring and most of the most needed pieces tend to be in this kit)

I also bought the Aztec decals from Acreation quite a while ago (still waiting for their arrival, partly due to my own unavailability in January), unfortunatly, Rob at Acreation is having some delivery problems, so if you do decide to oder these allow for a possibly LONG waiting time. Since I have heard that others are having similar problems.

hope that helps

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  20. Caladonis

Caladonis Member

The PNT photoetch seems to be perma out of stock :cry

21. opal1970

They were out of stock most of last year till about 2 months ago, I had my pre-order for about a year at Starship Modeler. I think they only got 6 or 7 of them in and they were gone in a couple of weeks.

22. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Well all the major substructures are dry-fitted or partially cemented, the windows are all fitted and it's time to start thinking about the lighting system, which needs to be fitted before the substructures can be joined.

In a brave (or possibly very foolish) move, I've decided to try to make the lighting system from scratch, including flashing LED's etc.

Bought all the LED's, resistors and so on today from my local electronics store. I hope I've planned this out properly. It won't be 100% screen accurate, but as close as I can get with my limited electronics skills. In shock at the amount of soldering ahead of me, the thought of which is already giving me palpitations:

[​IMG]

Once again, I say - Oh my!

23. Damocles

Damocles Active Member

She is a big'un! Looking forward to your build. I have one stashed in the closet, but I want to make sure I'm not moving for a LONG time before I build it. :)

24. opal1970

will you be handling the blinking etc. with the 555 alone?
    I still have a long time before I get started, but I will probably be using an ATtiny85 or an ATtiny 2313 to handle the nav lights. For the Shuttlebay, i want to do a landing / takeoff sequence which may need more that what a ATtiny can do. otherwise I may use a tlc5940 to handle all the LEDs. I am trying stuff out right now on my Galactica so that I have all options covered by the time I start on the big E .

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  25. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I've bought some blinking LED's to hopefully handle that element of the lighting. I haven't tested them yet, I'll let you know how they work out.

26. opal1970

Ohhhh I have heard of those, I never really tried them though... am kinda scared if they will still work a couple years down the road. After I seal that baby up it is a sold out show. Not that I heard anything bad about them... just not ready to stop doing it myself.

definatly let me know how they work though, I am really curious.

27. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I'll let you know how they work out. Still haven't got around to installing them in the LED circuit, but I did make a good start today with a bunch of LED's for the saucer section.

Here's a video of where I am at:

Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprise build part 1 - YouTube

Once the saucer circuit is all soldered and finished, I need to paint the insides of the saucer black and line it with foil to stop the light leakage.

Overall, I'd say it's been a good days work and I'm quite happy with my progress.

A long road to travel yet, of course.

28. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Making slow progress.

Here's the saucer lighting rig test before removal:

[​IMG]

I've removed the test lighting rig from the saucer, primed the inside and sprayed the inside sections satin black, leaving the "spotlight" sections clear. The idea is, the spotlights will be mimicked by putting a bunch of LED's inside the saucer, giving the illusion of the spotlights from the top dome/bridge section:

[​IMG]

It needs cleaned up, but this is the basic concept:

[​IMG]

I've also been given a big sheet of light diffusing material, thin enough to cut with scissors but very tough. Initial tests look good, particularly when an LED is ground down. I'm hoping the grinding of each relevant LED, the diffusing sheet and see-though paint will give me the final effect I want:

[​IMG]

Now, lighting removed, my next job is to go over all the details inside the saucer, clean up the unpainted spotlight sections and light-block the areas around each of the windows with black paint and a small brush, before starting to install the permanent lighting system for this substructure.

Which reminds me, I need to paint the officers lounge and install and light that at the same time as the dome.

There are so many layers involved in building this kit, particularly with the scratch build lighting system. I'm finding it quite a challenge.

[​IMG]

A couple more shots just for fun - messing around with the front dish lighting and an army of shuttlecraft:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  29. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

This model is killing me.

I've dremelled away the front dome support so it casts no shadow on the spotlight area and done my best to light block the upper saucer area. I think the upper saucer is ready to fit the lights now. On the bottom saucer I've also sanded away the front inner support, but I've left the two side supports which are visible through the left and right lower saucer spotlights. I don't wan't to compromise the structural integrity of the the saucer too much, so the fact that you will be able to see a slight spot on the 2 side supports through the spotlight area is a compromise. Unless anybody has any better suggestions?

30. Randy13

Randy13 Well-Known Member

This kit is quite a challenge to build but can be done. Looks to me like you’re doing a great job so far. I know I remember reading about a build and how someone cut out and relocated the saucer supports so they wouldn’t interfere with the lighting. I can’t find that site right now but I hope that gives you some ideas.

31. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

one suggestion I would have, the spot light effect through the hull, try to feather the edges. The lights would have a falloff and you don't want to have the sharp edges around the lit part of the saucer.
    When i started preping mine that's what I did and it looks really good.
    The supports had to go, unfortunatly, but I think the suacer is thick enough so that it will not compromise the stability.
    I really should get back to this kit, I got hung up the lighting, didn't really want to pay 300.00 bucks for a kit.

32. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Thanks for that. I will feather the edges of the spotlight sections.

Maybe I'll remove the two remaining supports as well. I've filed them down so they are only a tiny spot on the two bottom side spots, but they still bug me.

On the bottom saucer, I also removed the blocks of windows and snipped each one off individually so there is no shadow on the spots. It was a bit fiddly and I lost a couple of tiny windows during the process, so I had to improvise. The result is alright, not 100 percent perfect on window height, but that's the compromise for getting rid of the big blocks and eliminating the unwanted shadows:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  33. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I need some advice regarding the nacelle colour.

My original plan was to apply a layer of transparent Tamiya blue to the inside of the clear insert, which I did, but I was unhappy with it after studying reference photos.

Pic courtesy of Phase Pistol:

[​IMG]

The "clear" pieces do not look blue at all. They are lilac or purple in the ref images.

I've removed the paint from my kit pieces and need to refinish them, but I'm a bit confused as to the right way forward. Should I apply a transparent lilac finish to the clear parts, with thin black lines in the grooves? I wonder how this will effect the light of the blue LED's I will be installing in this area.

I'd appreciate any advice of suggestions on this issue.

34. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

Re: Polar Lights 1:350 Enterprise refit - build up, questions and reference images

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  35. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Re: Polar Lights 1:350 Enterprise refit - build up, questions and reference images

Finished the Officers lounge and 90% finished the arboretum (just needs the roof done and decals).

Also light blocked the entire saucer, that took forever to do and I'm sure there will still be some light-bleed when everything is lit.

For the arboretum I used crushed parsley and modellers foliage together with layered acrylic paints.. Tried to mix in some different colors to give a slightly alien look:

[​IMG]

36. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I decided to remove the side pegs. The fact that they were creating a dark spot on the side spotlights finally bugged me too much, but removing them was a really quick job in the end and it doesn't see to have weakened the saucer at all. It looks much better now I think:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried to introduce a subtle shadowing under the front phaser to simulate carbon scoring or some such. It might be a little too subtle, not sure how it will fare under the paint and decals:

[​IMG]

Lots of work and many hours devoted so far. So why oh why does it STILL look like this??! :facepalm :confused

Scotty would have had it doing warp factor 8 by now...

[​IMG]

37. renaissance_man

renaissance_man Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice work there so far Ob1al.
    I just picked up a PL 1/350 Enterprise A kit today, and it's always good to see other people's build pictures.
    Also handy having a UK builder, as I find it good to compare notes on supplies that we can get in model and hardware shops here that aren't available to us from the US.
    I may pick your brains about paint colours when I come to paint mine if that's ok.

Nice guitar work by the way, checked out 1 or 2 of your vids in your Youtube channel!

More build pictures please. :lol

38. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Hey thanks RM - thanks for listening to the songs as well.

Yes, happy to compare notes and share resources, I look forward to seeing your build.

Al

39. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

A little more progress after work today and some more lighting installed. No strobes or flashing sequence lighting installed yet. I've moved away from my original idea of trying the flashing LED's and will now be using 555 chips instead, hoping to start work on those circuits tomorrow night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. opal1970

Hey Ob1al,
    it is going along very well. I have to be honest I am not a real fan of the backlighting method for the spots, but I also have to admit yours looks stunningly realistic... much better as I would have thought.

What made you change your plans regarding the blinking LEDs?

41. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Thanks opal. It was really the fact that I couldn't get them in sequence, along with the possibility of a reduced lifespan on the flashing LED's. As you mentioned, I didn't want the lights to fail a year or two down the line, once this is sealed and painted I want it to stay that way.

I'm still working on designing and installing the lights, building them up as I go along:

[​IMG]

Since this pic was taken I've installed the four yellow LED's around the deflector dish too.

I'm getting too much light bleed in certain areas, I will try to fix that later.

I'm working on the nacelles and the shuttle bay at the moment. I'm scratching my head on the best way to light the nacelles, still experimenting and trying to figure this problem out.

Several times over the course of this build to date, I've wished I'd just ordered a trek modeller lighting kit. It would have been much quicker, I think. The only 2 positives from my method are the ability to customise the lights to suit and the satisfaction of having done it myself. The downside is a few more grey hairs...

42. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Good work, i like how your spots look nice and bright!

This was my last build using the Raytheon method....

[​IMG]

Rich

43. LMFAOSchwarz

LMFAOSchwarz Sr Member

Coming along just great! I've got to commend you: I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to attempt this!
    I really like your 'fake' projected light on the saucer section. The diffused light as it travels away from the light source really helps sell it!
    One thing I really enjoy is your arboretum! It has a real 60's-ish "Lost in Space" feeling to it, and while that's the wrong show, the era certainly comes across well! It's a nice, subtle reminder of the original series in a model of the movie-era ship!
    Also, your approach to customizing the lighting will pay off in extra experience!

44. opal1970

yes, I did not think about that but I also had that problem using two separate microcontrollers and keeping them in sequence, I ended up ordering a larger microcontroller that had enough pins to do all the lighting that needed to be in time with each other.

I put my Revell Galactica on ice, and have been busying myself with the Workbees, Travelpods & Co for my 350 Enterprise (until the Timeslip Galactica kit arrives). Lighting them with SMDs should not be the problem, but getting everything in place "inside" is proving to be a really fun task. I had to order some SMD resistors, which should arrive next week (Conrad), as the normal ones were too big. When I have one lite up I will give you a sneak preview.

45. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

This is the circuit I intend to make tomorrow:

[​IMG]

Please let me know if anyone spots any problems with this circuit - I'd rather know now before I build it.

Bear in mind this will be running from a 9v wall supply.

46. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Thinking about the nacelle lighting. Here are a couple of screen grabs from TMP I found online:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the studio model pic again, unlit:

[​IMG]

After some consideration, I think I should add a translucent purple to the inside of the clear plastic nacelle light parts so it appears purple when unlit, like the studio model, add black lines in the grooves with paint, then add blue, rather than purple, lighting behind via an EL strip.

What do you guys think?

Rich, great build there. I see you went for the purple/UV nacelle lighting. I have have a question, how did you light block the ends of the nacelle clear parts to restrict the lighting from going all the way to the edge? In the screenshots the nacelle light rounds off well before reaching the edge, like your model. Any tips on how to achieve that? Did you light block the inside of the clear part with paint?

47. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Thanks for the compliment!

Hmmm... if i remember correctly, i painted the outside of the clear part, but light blocked the inside with black electrical tape, i think! I used transparent purple lighting gell for the uv/purple effect......got loads left if you want some....FOC of course! My only problem with that, was i was using the Trekmodeler lighting kit, and the 2 big led's he supplies for either end of the warp grilles just wasn't enough to get the even bright light i wanted......

Rich

48. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

That's very kind of you cheers mate. Yes I would love some of the lighting gel. PM sent.

I've been having a look at 9" blue cold cathode tubes. Any thoughts about using those instead of LED's?

49. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

I don't have any experience with CCFL's.....all i know is they give a beautiful even light....however, if you go the led route, this was the result i got on my2nd last Enterprise using spaced apart led's in a lightbox with lot's of diffusion......(granted i went for blue that time) but at least it worked on that attempt! LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich

50. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Looks beautiful Rich.

I've bought 2 9" cold cathodes from halfords and tested them. They are perfect with little or no diffusion, happy with that. Ill post some pics later, at a bbq right now! The purple gel and painting black lines should do it, I think.