Pokemon Costume - Cubone Mask and more

TheAtomicSoul

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm making a semi-dark themed Pokemon costume, starting with a Cubone mask.
I designed it in 3D, made a papercraft file of it, and am currently putting Bondo on it.
I decided to try putting the Bondo on the inside of the mask, this way when it hardens I will still have a relatively smooth surface on the outside to work with. More pics of that later to come!

cubone mask wip1.jpg
IMG_20160828_010848.jpg

I've added a few materials to harden it-- bondo, wood putty, XTC-3D, and high build primer.

It's pretty smooth but I'm going to put one more layer of XTC-3D on it, then sand, primer and paint it.
Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's any issue putting Enamel paint over spray paint, or if there is a certain spray paint that will work with enamel?

IMG_20160910_155440.jpg
IMG_20160910_155453.jpg

Super cool! I think traditional spray paint is oil based so enamel over it should be fine. Even enamel OVER lacquer works but don't put lacquer (like a clear coat) over enamel paint.

I'm curious, was it a pain to apply the bondo? I just picture the give in the paper making it annoying to spread the bondo everywhere.

aaawww thats awesome! i can't wait to see it done. its a sad story about the cubone skull..

pokedex entry: It always wears the skull of its dead mother, so no one has any idea what its hidden face looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super cool! I think traditional spray paint is oil based so enamel over it should be fine. Even enamel OVER lacquer works but don't put lacquer (like a clear coat) over enamel paint.

I'm curious, was it a pain to apply the bondo? I just picture the give in the paper making it annoying to spread the bondo everywhere.

Good to know!

Bondo: Actually, I did two things to help with that, but one turned out to be a MAJOR mistake!
When making the shape with cardstock paper I used clear shipping tape to hold it together. When I applied Bondo, I actually put it on the INSIDE of the helmet!
The good side is, it stayed pretty stable while applying the bondo. The card stock held pretty well during the process.
The bad side is: nothing sticks to the back of shipping tape. I had to pull parts of the card stock off in order to remove it... including after putting layers of material on the outside of it.
When I make another item this way, I'm going to use blue tape on the outside, bondo the inside, and then remove all the tape from the outside. Hopefully that'll work well.

Halliwax said:
aaawww thats awesome! i can't wait to see it done. its a sad story about the cubone skull..

Yea, but it'll take a bit of a dark turn with this; I'll be adding glow powder to the last layer of paint to give it a more ominous/ spooky effect in the dark!

Cubone Mask

I've added a few layers of primer, leaving the last black one on so the surface is smooth and has a matte finish.
I also added a layer of resin backed cardboard to the eye and nose holes and covered them with primer.
I decided to cast it to help reduce the weight (and sell a few to help cover the cost).

Once cast I'll cut the nose hole out so I can see through them when wearing it as a mask, but will also be able to re-position it to wear it more like a hat/ helmet if I so choose.

IMG_20161001_161928.jpg

Honedge

250px-679Honedge.pnghonedge_by_malliya-d76pbbn.jpg(note: not my 2D art, for reference only.)

I've already made it once, but I'm going to re-print the sword and scabbard Pokemon: Honedge.
The handle has an issue where I printed it in two pieces, but that'll be corrected in the updated print.
The blade doesn't fit in the scabbard so I will correct that as well, and I like the wood grain look in the above picture (and I've read its supposed to be wood), so I'm going to go for that effect this time.

Honedge WIP1.jpgIMG_20151123_204438.jpgIMG_20151123_204451.jpg

MISC

I'm currently ordering a lab coat. I'll be adding some "dried blood" to it to make it look well used. ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back