Please help with hoverboard parts

formula388

Hey everyone.
After the whole mattel hoverboard disaster I am looking to build my own screen accurate hoverboard. I was wondering if anyone had any reference sizes for the hoverboard parts.
I have access to my own 3d printer and feel like these parts would be very easily 3d printed. I can draw the parts as well, and have folders of reference pictures of screen used boards and all, but finding sizes for the parts themselves is what is troubling me.
If anyone can help with sizes of the parts it would be greatly appreciated.
By the way, I have searched and it seems as though board sizes and sticker sizes are all open information, but the size of the parts seems to be hard to find.
Thanks again.
Your friend in time,
Dennis

PS Im planning on 3d printing pitbull parts also.

couldn't you just scale it off the info you do have for the board there was also a recently cnc'd board which had accurate looking bevels on it too

I saw that CNC'd thread. Very cool.
The thing I like about the hoverboard parts is that they look consistent with all the hoverboards. So scaling it I dont feel would be as accurate.

If you're fine with scaling based on available measurements, the silver section of the magnets (the face of them) is the size of a standard CD. Scale from there and you should be good to go.

-Nick

The base disk should measure approximately 6" diameter, same as the footpad. The other disk on top along with bevels and thickness you'll have to guess based on photos.

RTEmagicC_hoverboard_mcfly.jpg.jpg

These two photos are excellent for scaling reference, I wouldn't recommend basing your kicktail measurements off of it though... better to use the decal for that.

BTTFII_HoverStunt03_zpsc6cf2406.jpg

BTTFII_HoverStunt02-1_zps7a4d9652.jpg

Here are two caps of what I have been working on.
This was a quick 45minute try at this part, let me know what I could fix.
I am looking for feedback so feel free to be tough with me!
Also, sorry that I cant work in metric like I noticed most people do. Just wasnt raised that way!
Thanks for any help,
Dennis

Attachments

• battery.png
    battery.png
    69 KB · Views: 308
Well, noone here gave me feed back so I printed it out anyway. Here is a prototype model of it. If anyone wants to give me feedback on this one please do! Im looking for help :confused I also have been working on the hold-downs and the base discs. Those are in the printer right now being printed.
Thanks for any help!

That looks great! It may just be the angle, but it looks a tad on the thin side. Can I ask how thick it is.

It's strange because the rendering looks to be the right thickness, but the print looks thinner. That's why I'm guessing the camera may be guilty here.

Great work though. That is such a beautiful piece.

-Nick

Thanks for the responses. BTTFspencer, just need the battery box or looking for the whole group of parts?
TheNickFox, drawing was 1/2" (.500) thick, printed out at .505 and after it gets paint and body work it will probably be a little bit thicker. If anyone knows how thick it is supposed to be I will gladly change it to be correct!
I have an 1.5hrs till my next two board parts are done on the printer. The base disc and the hold down between the battery pack and the base disc. If anyone has any other good overhead pics of the bottom feel free to Post them here!
Thanks again
-Dennis

Much better angle!

That thing looks perfect! Amazing job. What's your time frame for completing all the rest of the parts? If this is how good the battery looks, I can't wait to see the rest!

-Nick

Here is the base disc or magnet as some people call it.
I am actually making one slightlyyy bigger right now, this measures out to 5.96" and I am printing one to 6" as we speak.
The first hold down for this I am redrawing and reprinting as I am not happy with how some of the bevels/ fillets came.
Again, OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS!

The difference between the two magnet assemblies I made are not even noticable. Here is a pic of it layed out on a print of a screen used hoverboard, it looks like my battery might be too tall, I read in other threads that it should be either .375" or .472" I have it at a .500" height.

Some more progress pictures.
The hold down on the right side of the image is my FAILED attempt at a hold down from lots of guessing.
The hold down on the left side is MUCH BETTER but still not perfect. I think the diameter of the circles where the screws sit should be a little larger and from center point to center point should be a smidge more.

What do you think of the thickness of the parts now that it is coming together? I think the battery pack is a little too thick, but going from .500 to .472 as recommended by other members (through PM) is not going to make a great difference. (for my finalized parts I would redo the thickness)

The one on the left looks a lot nicer. How thick is that? I think my 3D model has them at .125", but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
The battery box thickness looks fine to me. My only note is that the outer edge of the magnet/mount looks a bit too rounded off?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back