Please help me restore this Mauser replica!

Brothervader

I bought this for $60. It's in pretty rough shape, but I think I can restore it. I'm looking for two things. First, I was just wondering if anybody could tell me who originally made this replica. Second, I'm looking for tips on how to restore it. I'm going to need to strip the paint which is in pretty rough shape. Any help or tips would be appreciated!

My goal is to convert it into a Luke Bespin blaster.
20200729_133845.jpg
20200729_133855.jpg
20200729_133922.jpg
20200729_133927.jpg

That's a Denix replica Mauser. Pretty common around here and still readily available.

Get a lot of sand paper, it’s a pretty common practice on sanding down the factory paint job

A lot of great threads here

Fieldmarshall has a lot of parts readily available for this conversion, might want to check him out

Yep, a Denix. I've done several of them. Do you have a mill? You could mill the pockets and the extractor to make it look a lot better.

60 was a good price. The mauser alone would be worth it but getting the flash hider is really nice

It looks like some one tried to use a paint stripper or oven cleaner to remove the paint and it reacted badly and started to erode the metal.

If you have a dremel, I would recommend getting some cheap abrasive sanding wheels from amazon to remove the surface mess. Once that is done, files work great to create those crisp edges. Just make sure you are filing true to the shape of the upper and lower receiver. Check out scottjua's and Field Marshall's threads for great Mauser reference pics (there are tons more as well). After that, I would recommend using sanding sponges to remove the file lines - 60 grit, all the way up top 220. Then you can use sandpaper to finish to your preference, I went all the way up to 1500. Your finishing will depend on whether you are painting or bluing. A LOT of research and patience should yield a good result.

Thanks for all the help and good advice. Because I'm doing a budget build, I'm looking for a good resin scope. If anyone wants to point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!

actually, I have one, let me get you photos and stuff, I don't want a lot for it. This is a good project in the making

I'm still working on removing the original paint. I've got a another question for you guys. What's the general rule when aligning the scope bracket? Should I just eyeball it using screenshots?
20200803_213855.jpg

I want to thank Corellianexports for their great scope, mounting bracket, and greeblies. He also answered all my questions. I used his reference pics when painting and weathering my blaster.

My flash hider isn't 100% accurate, but it was free so I'm not going to complain. Overall I'm really happy with this bespin build that only cost $130.
20200813_185655.jpg
20200813_185727.jpg
20200813_205828.jpg
20200813_185716.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back