Please Help ID This Return to Oz Green Glass Ornament

OzReturner

Sr Member
I also posted this question over in my thread:

Return to Oz (1985)- Fabricated and Real Props- Identification and Help!

The emerald / green glass ornament that ultimately becomes the Scarecrow. It is assuredly glass as far as I can ascertain. The top, bottom, front, and back are all flat. When it is in the process of falling over (and just standing upright), you can see what appears to be a round shaft going completely through it, almost as though it should be threaded or strung onto something. Maybe nautical, like some sort of rope rigging adornment? Inexplicable powerline addition, like those glass insulators they used to use? I have a strong feeling that it was not created for the movie, but is a found object. Also seems to be 4" tall, or thereabouts. Thoughts please, it's a very desired piece to add to my collection!

Any help is highly appreciated!

20.PNG
21.PNG
22.PNG

Purfume Bottle Ebay

Desperate guess, but very much a found object

<Updated>
Bottle

Look at this one. It has the similar shaft running through the middle. I think we're getting close
I like it! It may be a perfume bottle- the shaft might only run 3/4 of the way down, like in these bottles, and not all the way through like I thought.

If I had $100 to bet, I would probably put $90 on it being from a lamp or chandelier. Didn't have much luck searching, but I'm sure lamp parts have their own nomenclature and I'm not familiar with it.

Of course, what it really looks like is a glass bead for a necklace or earrings...any chance there's some forced perspective at work? LOL

If I had $100 to bet, I would probably put $90 on it being from a lamp or chandelier. Didn't have much luck searching, but I'm sure lamp parts have their own nomenclature and I'm not familiar with it.

Of course, what it really looks like is a glass bead for a necklace or earrings...any chance there's some forced perspective at work? LOL

Think you are onto something about a lamp, that would easily explain the shaft through the middle. Definitely not forced perspective, as Dorothy lays her hands on it. That would be some extreme camera trickery!

Or maybe a part off of a vintage candlestick lamp similar to these View attachment 1671848View attachment 1671849..

I'm more convinced than ever now it's a lamp piece. That second picture is extremely close to what I'm searching for!

My brother even suggested it could be the decorative piece in the middle of a vintage trophy of some sort. Those things just get assembled with a threaded rod through the middle, holding all of the various, interchangeable pieces together.

It looks like that piece of a lamp would be called a break.
Too bad the Wizard of Odz lamp hospital seems to have closed. They had all kinds of parts and it would have been great to find the part there.

Or maybe a part off of a vintage candlestick lamp similar to these View attachment 1671848View attachment 1671849..
I am nearly certain now this type of lamp is what I am looking for. The green one is from the 1940s, and seems like the right size. Unfortunately, with how many thousands of lamps got made, and not currently documented online, it's something I will have to keep revisiting over time, hoping the right type shows up somewhere. Thanks to all contributors, I will post here again if I ever track it down.

Very minor update. I just bought a brass bird that is next to the green glass. Using my (very) rudimentary photoshop investigations, I feel like this ornament is about 3.5" tall x 4" wide x 1.5" deep. That is all.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back