Plastikote primer on styrene :(

b26354

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone had a problem with plasti-kote sandable primer not drying properly on styrene? I think they must have changed the formula down here in NZ... I usually use Tamiya primer but needed a thicker coat on a larger vacformed model and plasti-kote still felt tacky after a couple of days... And the new spray nozzles seem to spit way more than they used to (but clog less)

I ended up buying a cheap gravity feed HVLP touch up gun and, after sanding back the plastikote, hit it with auto primer and got a really smooth finish that dried really fast. I'm actually surprised at how finely atomised the paint was and how controllable the spraygun was.

I love the Plasti-Kote, but only their "Classic Lacquer" series primer. You can get it at CarQuest in the US. If I can't get that primer, I use the Duplicolor.

I've used Plastikote on styrene for years and never had a problem.

Ditto! thee hands-down Best out there.
re: PlastiKote - Keep the Faith!
If you get a bad can (happens / even to the Best of em) - take it back.

Keep in mind that (like all solvent based primers) heat, cold & moisture
will have an adverse effect on normal usage.

Oh & Crowded House = Rock!

I'm in NZ as well but I have never had any problems with Plasticote sandable primer on styrene which has always been my modelling medium. Have you washed the vac-formed parts in warm soapy water first. Maybe that would work.

Nick K

So... it was actually Plasti-kote Primer Super which I was having a problem with (which is made in Europe). The guy in the paint store said it was the same stuff :/ The last batch of plasti-kote Sandable primer I used came from Ohio.

But spraygun and auto primer is giving much better (and faster drying) results than a rattle can.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back