Plastic Sheets, Which Plastic to use

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

archtk

Hello guys,

I would like to make some plastic models, basically a pulse rifle 1:1 Scale and a studio scale millenium falcon.

My question is which plastic sheet is best for model making. I found a plastic manufacturer that sells ABS or HIPS, Styrene and Sintra or Fomex (Foam PVC)
Ives used ABS and Styrene before but which one do you guys recommend.

I think it should be strong easy to work, glue and paint but most of all one that wont warp or come unstuck at the seams.

Ive done architectural models before but I dont remember the plastic but over time the models warp terribly.

Advise guys appreciated.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

TazMan2000

Sr Member
HIPS. Easy to get, comes in various thicknesses, easy to cut, easy to sand easy to glue. However other plastics can also be used in order to strengthen the model or to provide the inner framework or supports. Metal piping, or structures will also need to be used if building something very large in order to resist sagging over time.

TazMan2000

MonsieurTox

Master Member
This is a 4 years old thread bumped by a guy doing an advertisement (link) of his website/company...

MOD EDIT: Spammer post deleted... also found another spammer in the thread from 2012, thanks for the heads up.

yaris

Sr Member
This is a 4 years old thread bumped by a guy doing an advertisement (link) of his website/company...

MOD EDIT: Spammer post deleted... also found another spammer in the thread from 2012, thanks for the heads up.
well...that's disappointing.....I didn't even look at the dates....:facepalm......the info is still valid I think....HIPS is a good choice for modelling;)