Plastic Cap Shield Overhaul

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
While looking for a Cap Shield that would serve as a sort of "stunt" version for cosplay and display, I found this option on ebay:
I own the Herobody Cap suit that's on a mannequin for display. My metal shield is too heavy to mount to the back, so I wanted something light weight that serves the purpose and looks reasonably good.

I knew I'd be making some modifications to this shield, specifically, resurfacing the entire thing to remove the vinyl record texture that the manufacturer added to presumably simulate brushed metal (a failed look btw). Luckily, the shield is made of ABS plastic and with some patience and effort, I was able to completely smooth out the surface front and back so I had a fresh foundation to start from for my repaint.

So far, I'm at the primer stage, but I have a series of procedures to follow that will really transform this cheap shield into something that'll look great on display and light weight enough to use as a cosplay accesory.
20190520_124228.jpg
20190520_124522.jpg
20190520_131152.jpg
20190520_131155.jpg
20190520_162222.jpg
20190520_162235.jpg
20190521_123833.jpg
20190521_123856.jpg

Looking forward to see this completed. I did a sand/repaint on my plastic marvel legends a few years ago, curious how this one compares.

I've thought about getting one of these to turn into a comic style shield. How do you like the quality/thickness of the plastic?

Woww that looks so much better than the stock shield it’s not even funny...

Might take up trying this to mine if I ever get around to it

Which paints and sanding grits are you using for this if you don’t mind sharing?
I custom mix my paints from pigment powders, so they are a proprietary blend.
I used 220 grit with an air powered sander to remove the texture.
The primer coat was wet sanded and polished smooth prior to the silver base coat.

Nearing completion here. Finished off the backside today. Used still images from The Winter Soldier to guide my color scheme. I noticed that the backside wasnt a bright silver like on the front, so I mixed a little gunmetal gray into my base silver color.
The fun part was adding the weathering to the back, making it pop and look more interesting like it does on screen.
I just need to fabricate new clips for the leather straps that attach to the rim.
20190701_153117.jpg
20190701_153126.jpg

Awesome work GeneralFROSTY! So scary that It looks like the efx one. I like to see you add the black panther scratch marks.
I DID base the finish off what was used in Civil War, but I'm not a fan of the claw marks (main reason why I didn't invest in the Masterworks edition shield).
However, if I had a few more of these, I would definitely refit them to other styles used.

Comparison to my 25" metal shield. I actually prefer the overall look and size of the plastic one to be honest!
The metal shield pictured is due for a repaint as I've since updated and improved my paint formula and application process.
20190703_160336.jpg
20190703_160401.jpg
20190703_160431.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back