Plasti-Dip vs. Krylon Fusion

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Elkman

(announcer voice) Coming this fall from New Line Pictures: Two spray cans full of primer will enter the arena of death. Only one will leave. Who will be the winner in a battle of volatile organic compounds?

OK, maybe that wouldn't make a good feature film. I'm planning to paint my Sintra armor, and most of the references here say that Plasti-Dip is the best way to prime it for painting. I also saw a few references saying that Krylon Fusion for Plastic would work, though. After driving to three different stores last night, I finally got the Plasti-Dip spray and tried it on the Sintra. It seems to work OK, in that I couldn't scrape it off.

Between the Plasti-Dip and the Krylon Fusion for Plastic, though, which one is preferable? Does the Plasti-Dip form a more textured surface after a few coats?

After priming, I'm planning to paint all this with Rustoleum Hammered Metal, then finish it with that Amaco Rub 'n Buff, as other tutorials have recommended. I'm just wondering if the Plasti-Dip will form a textured surface after a few coats, or whether I should just do one primer coat and then paint.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

VinMan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
(announcer voice) Coming this fall from New Line Pictures: Two spray cans full of primer will enter the arena of death. Only one will leave. Who will be the winner in a battle of volatile organic compounds?

OK, maybe that wouldn't make a good feature film. I'm planning to paint my Sintra armor, and most of the references here say that Plasti-Dip is the best way to prime it for painting. I also saw a few references saying that Krylon Fusion for Plastic would work, though. After driving to three different stores last night, I finally got the Plasti-Dip spray and tried it on the Sintra. It seems to work OK, in that I couldn't scrape it off.

Between the Plasti-Dip and the Krylon Fusion for Plastic, though, which one is preferable? Does the Plasti-Dip form a more textured surface after a few coats?

After priming, I'm planning to paint all this with Rustoleum Hammered Metal, then finish it with that Amaco Rub 'n Buff, as other tutorials have recommended. I'm just wondering if the Plasti-Dip will form a textured surface after a few coats, or whether I should just do one primer coat and then paint.
In my experience with Sintra armor, which is a bunch. the texture somes from the hammered metal not the plastidip. my humble opinion is stick to one coat on the plastidip anything more is overkill

Elkman

In my experience with Sintra armor, which is a bunch. the texture somes from the hammered metal not the plastidip. my humble opinion is stick to one coat on the plastidip anything more is overkill
OK, that sounds good. I guess I was thinking of the kind of texture or thickness that you'd get from dipping tool handles in the liquid Plasti-Dip.

By the way, I think you mentioned elsewhere that you used pewter-colored Rustoleum Hammered paint first, then sprayed a layer of the silver Hammered on top. Does that make it look a lot better than just using the silver? (It probably does, but I'd have to run out to the store to get some, and I'm too busy tonight. ;) )