Plaster mold - face mask

ssloun

Hello guys.

NOTE : This is not about casts, but about getting the sculpt from the mold

I recently bought my first latex mask for my costume from Lee, but that is not the only reason why I bought it.. I want to sculpt one myself in near time, but Im not gonna do that unless I know how to mold the whole thing. And thats the problem, I thought I'd figure it out when I have Lee's mask in my hands but I still dont get it! :mad: Please, someone hit me in the head, but I still cant figure it out.

The mask I have apparently came from 2-part mold. There is an seam line going down from neck back to the top of the head all around and down to the neck on the other side. I STILL GET IT HERE. :mad:
BUT what I dont get is this (sorry for my English, this is quite difficult for me to describe, I hope you'll understand what i wanted to say) -►

►From what I've heard over here the molds are made of plaster so that the water part from latex gets absorbed in plaster. But plaster is very solid material - cant be bended without destroying itself, the predator sculpt is made from clay - also kind of solid material.(Here it finally comes :mad: ) When you pour PLASTER on the SCULPT (see the picture please) it gets into the dread holes -► not big deal for the back part of the mold, you just simply pull it off, BUT how do you get the front part of the mold off the sculpt when the mold is stuck in the dread holes. You cant pull it back, down or anywhere else because of the plaster in dread holes.

Is here anyone who would hit me in head or better explain it ti me?
I hope you guys can understand what I meant and enlighten me, Id be so greatfull.

Thanks, Joseph

predy_mould.JPG

Basically when you mould your sculpt, it is screwed when you remove it from the plaster mould.

The back as you rightly say will pop off nicely, the front however will take time as you have to dig out all the clay by hand, meaning your sculpt is wrecked, this does not matter as long as your moulding process went ok :mad:

good luck.

Basically when you mould your sculpt, it is screwed when you remove it from the plaster mould.

The back as you rightly say will pop off nicely, the front however will take time as you have to dig out all the clay by hand, meaning your sculpt is wrecked, this does not matter as long as your moulding process went ok :mad:

good luck.
Wow so it is that way. I was always trying to come up with something to save the actual sculpt, never came to my mind I'd have to wreck it. I guess I'll have to work fast on it then, since oil based clay is unavailable in here and the clay I use gets hard in week or so.

Thanks Lee

I do not have the links at hand, but if you do a little web surfing on clay websites, you will find more than one that has a receipe for oil based clay. Just do a search for oil based clay receipe. For many years people have been making their own clay before it was widely availble. It is not a hard receipe nor are they hard to find ingredients.

Oz

If U spray your clay model with Dull/Matte Clear coat right before putting on the wet plaster will help in removing clay after you're done.
The parting line on your sculpt should be more like a curved line splitting from the crests to the middle line of neck viewing from side.

Remember whatever a negative "curved in" shape will be a positive "curved out shape" in the mold so removing the clay in the dread holes shouldn't be a problem
just be patient. U can always use a water spray and chip brush to clean the tiny bits of clay out. Just don't spray too long. Dry in the sun before pouring the latex

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back