Plaster hand trouble

Darkraven

Im trying to make a plaster copy of my hand so i can sculpt a predator hand

A while ago i was told how to do this using alginate and plaster i bought some alginate and plaster and followed what i was told unfortunately screwing it up what i did was put my hand in an empty fizzy drinks bottle but because it wasnt big enough for me to stretch my hand out and i cut the bottle down way too much i now have two fists sitting on my desk that look quite impressive considering it was my first attempt at anything like this, and have caused a few remarks when people come to visit and pass my room and spot them

i now have ran out of alginate and am going to buy some more but before i do would it be a viabe method for me to make a duck tape dummy version of my hand make sure i use enough duct tape to make it water tight and then pour plaster in and stand it up inside a bucket so i end up with a plaster hand whcih wont have the same texture as id get form the above method but would be a hand my size

or is there a better way?

Any input and advice would be great

Andy

Make another custom container box big enough for your arm/ hand. You may need help from some one else to mix the alginate and pour it into the container over your arm lying flat.
If ur plaster bandage skill is good enough u can just make a split mold top and bottom part. Its not that hard. You don't even need alginate for it. But u will need someone else to help you plaster.

I'm going to make the same thing soon. Perhaps you can check out my Bone-Hunter Suit WIP thread later... :p

Good luck!

I did the duct tape dummy method for my hand cast and it turned out great, just put on a latex glove before you tape your hand then slit it to get your hand out and retape. You can then pour the plaster in and put a plastic tube to act as a wrist to mount it to aboard inverted once done. I reinforced the wrist with tape and put some wire loops to be able to hang it while drying. Sorry I forgot to take pics of the process :p

maybe raptorarts will see this. if not anyone else have input?

how did you/he get his hand out of the alginate/bandage mold without damaging the alginate?
i dont think i could squeeze my hand through something only as wide as my wrist.

EDIT:
nvm, i just looked at the pics again. looks like his wirst to hand width ratio is bigger than mine.
thanks for the TUT raptorarts, i will probably use this in the future

Raptorarts has a tutorial over at his website

http://www.raptorarts.com/indexx.html

I seen a better one than that somewhere I saved the pics on my home computer. The guy made a triangle shaped box from the hard foam pannels you get at Michaels. And hot glued them togehter and glued them down to another piece of foam pannel. Then wrapped some duct tape around it for added support. Then filled it up to the height needed for to cover his hands and partof his wrist with alginate. Then once cured filled it with plaster and when the plaster was dry tore off the alginate and wala hands to sculpt on. This is the method I will be using to sculpt a set of hands soon myself.

This "BOX filler" is my next method as well. I did make a box but did a pour over my hand I find its easy to damage the thin alginate when pulling out.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back