Plaster Armature for Bio Sculpting

Uratz

Sr Member
I've posted this before in my Ancient Bio sculpt Huntorial and since there are more noobs now I'd figure I post again.

Edit- Added form sizes:

FormSIze.jpg

Here is what I did today for my 3rd Bio sculpt.

Plaster bandage over the wire armature. I will use 3-5 rolls of plaster bandages for thickness & structural support.

- Plaster bandages are cut into strips of 30 cm length (approx. 12 inches) and laid the first layer over the armature.
- Spray over with a water spray thing - u know the ones for flowers/plants.
- Then flatten the layers over the armature. let the edges be dry for later.
- then add more layers just on the armature not over the edges until thick enough
- When its thick enough the first layer extra edges can be wrapped over and onto the top layers creating a clean round edge around it.
- let dry in sunlight or heat lamps.
- Add more layers later if not thick enough.

- After it has dried for few days and doesn't feel cold to the touch you can spray a clear coat over it if sculpting in oil or water clay. The coating will stop the plaster absorbing the oil/ water from the clay
- Recommended for Oil clay bio sculpting.

Good luck have fun
plasterarmature.jpg

Example:
scubsculpt01.jpg

Edit- Added this stuff below from another thread

Here is how I made the under-form with the correct angles of the forehead.
Based on Biohunter's helmet side view (for ref) I drew lines in Adobe Illustrator with the underform roughly 1-2cm thick (49cm actual length) below the profile of the mask.

Further Details:
Then I printed it out on A3 paper (little bit larger than 11x14inch paper)
Traced the outline on to a corrugated cardboard and cut out a template for the wire.
Then twisted wire armature to match the angles I have on paper and refine in 3D until I
have the whole under mask done. I taped in between the wire frame until the whole mask takes a solid appearance.
then constantly measure the angles to ensure I have a accurate "predhead form."
Once the shapes is good I use clear packing tape (approx. 2.5inches wide) to tape all over the mask so that later the plaster will not drip thru the frame or stick to the wire. Easy removal!!!

Form Picture 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic4

I'm bumping this up for those who want to make their own bios seeing how many newbies are here now. Hope it helps

Trial and error printing and enlarging thru the xerox machine or print to A3 or 11x 14" after resizing in the computer

Question for you Mike - what is supporting the armature from collapsing under the weight of all that clay? Is the plaster really really thick, or do you have something underneath that supports it?

Question for you Mike - what is supporting the armature from collapsing under the weight of all that clay? Is the plaster really really thick, or do you have something underneath that supports it?

The plaster bandages is about 1cm thick. I do something like this with all my armatures.
I add skeletal boning with twisted or folded up plaster bandages like a thick strip and pressed into the plaster. then more plaster to cover it.
After its dry u can have an elephant sit on it. Hope that helps.

skeletalboning.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back