Plasteline Clay Recipe

oxtheii

Found this on another forum site for sculptors, though some may find it useful :)
(Not sure where this belongs so I put it here for now, move it to another section if needed :))
Originally found here http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=666

I am unsure what grease they use though, any ideas? Hope someone finds this helpful!
  • 20 lbs. microcrystalline wax
  • 50 lbs. clay flour
  • 6 qts. motor oil (Or Mineral Oil)
  • 2 or 3 lbs. grease
Melt wax in double boiler, add grease & oil and mix - then add clay and mix.
Adding more oil to the clay makes it more plastic, and adding more wax makes the clay become firmer. 
Mineral oil also works well for the oil.

Every several years I find my plasteline clay needs to be made more homogenous because of drying-out of long-stored models, studio dust (I carve stone) etc., and I often just throw all the odds and ends in the pot, as well as any store-bought stuff I have recycled from students who didn't want their old projects. I mix in a metal pan or a double boiler for safety, with plenty of ventilation. I stir with wooden spoons or long-handled paddles I've made.
I usually work directly over a hotplate burner with my studio door wide open. 

To form easily managable slabs I pour and trowel the thick mixture into flat plywood trays with 1x2 sides and lined with polyethelene sheets. After they have cooled they can easily be cut into convenient size slabs for use or storage.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back