Plasma Cannon - in progress

Jon

After feeling discouraged from the amount of parts I have screwed up so far since starting to work on this costume, I decided to try something that was a little more familiar to me. In essence, a plasma cannon for this costume is not much different than a lightsaber, of which I have some modicum of familiarity.

b192e25e.jpg.gif

I started with a section of plastic sinktube (1.5" OD) and two spray can lids that have been glued together and taped together with aluminum tape to make sure they stay together.

01640797.jpg.gif

I was able to finally track down the "template" I was looking for. I will use this as a very rough guide for overall shape, but will not try to make a 1:1 replica. Additionally, I have quite a few pictures saved on my computer I can refer to.

3cc7ffef.jpg.gif

f258776f.jpg.gif

I laid out some measurements on a piece of foam board, taking into account that I would want this main section to wrap around the plastic tube and give me a basis for the other details I would want to add later. I laid out a series of lines running the length of the foam board so I could use them as guides for scribing the board to allow it to bend around the plastic tube.

3aa9fb5d.jpg.gif

bbc878a0.jpg.gif

82a5a30d.jpg.gif

Once my scribing was done to allow the foam board to bend around the tube, I laid out some more lines for cuts to allow the paint can lids to sit properly on the assembly when done.

3313ce7a.jpg.gif

371592e5.jpg.gif

Once all cuts were made, I mocked up, then glued the pieces in place. I used tape to hold the joints tight while the adhesive dried. Already, it is starting to resemble something.

ea1fa810.jpg.gif

2e796239.jpg.gif

2f479693.jpg.gif

Next, I spent time carefully cutting pieces so I could cover the entire assembly in craft foam sheets. This serves a couple purposes. First, it covers the unsightly cuts I had to make in the foam board to get the basic shape. Next, it softens the edges and gives the assembly more of the bio-mechanic look that much of the predator weaponry and armor possesses. Finally, the foam gives me a basis to build my other pieces upon to get the nice lines and shapes I am after.

I quit at this point last night, and was satisfied with what I had accomplished. So far, the cannon is coming out at about 12" long. It will be a large piece, but then again, the cannons in AVP were much larger than in other movies. I think this will be alright for my costume.

This is coming along great!
Thanks for sharing and detailing your process so thoroughly. Please keep it up!

Can't wait to see the rest of the process.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back