Planet Of The Apes - The language issue

Well, we all know that Nazis speak german when they are alone and they switch to English when they belive the Hero is close by....;)

Frankly, in the end, I think this is a text book example of how audiences - and subsequently the film industry as a whole - have grown more sophisticated over time.

In the 60's, you could roll with **** like this.

Today its a huge plot whole.

Incidentally, how did they deal with this in the fabulous remake?

They stick a fish in their ear.

Not only is it English, but current English. A Clockwork Orange is the only movie I can think of that tried to make new future slang.
Dune [the book] mentioned that the heros' group could use a forgotten language as secret code, called Galach.

I was always a bit surprised that when he picked up the toy doll that says "mama", that he didn't look anywhere to see a "Made in Tiawan" stamp somewhere.

They stick a fish in their ear.

Not only is it English, but current English. A Clockwork Orange is the only movie I can think of that tried to make new future slang.
Dune [the book] mentioned that the heros' group could use a forgotten language as secret code, called Galach.

I don't know..."The 5th Element" starting using the term "green" years before the rest of the world..even though it didn't exactly mean the same thing. *lol*

Frankly, in the end, I think this is a text book example of how audiences - and subsequently the film industry as a whole - have grown more sophisticated over time.

In the 60's, you could roll with **** like this.

Today its a huge plot whole.

Incidentally, how did they deal with this in the fabulous remake?

Taylor, or whatever his name was lands on an alien planet through a time vortex, however his companions on the 'mother' ship land there with some super-monkeys a long time before he does in their search for him. Those humans and monkeys end up making the planet of the apes that he encounters.

Factoid, POTA was written by Pierre Boule, who also penned Bridge on the River Kwai. He presented a script for "Planet of Men" as a sequel to POTA, but the studio rejected it, I'd love to read it and see what it was about.

Planet of the men was Serling's script. They went right back to Rod as soon as sequel came up. It's a pretty good script too.

They spoke English a long time ago in a galaxy far far away too, even the ones that don't speak English can understand people that do speak English but choose to reply in their native tongue which the English speaker also understands yet neither party chooses to speak in the others language ever.

The same way writing in the Star Wars universe looks nothing like our alphabet, yet they have A-WING, X-WING AND B-WING labeled aircraft

With most sci-fi flicks, you can rationalize it fairly easy:
-Universal translator
-Luke and Han can speak "Empire-ese" but its just translated to English for our convenience
-A common language set forth by the (Federation, Empire, whatever)

But with POTA, language, and distinctly different cultures are fundamental to the plot.

Taylor has no previous knowledge of the ape culture. He (again) believes they are on a planet orbiting a star light years away from Earth.

Yet he never ponders how it is that the are speaking HIS language.

Conversely, it makes sense why the apes speak English (especially after viewing all the sequels).

And subsequently, it makes some sense that they know why Taylor speaks English (or, that the language he DOES speak is English). Once they have accepted that he is an aberrant human who can actually speak, it would make sense that he speaks the one language they know. And Dr. Zais of course knows the full truth.

But it makes no sense at all that Taylor can fully understand the apes language (again, presumably his own language), yet maintains throughout the film his lack of awareness that he is still on Earth.

Maybe its as simple as - Taylor is an idiot! ;)

-Luke and Han can speak "Empire-ese" but its just translated to English for our convenience

Then why not have all the characters translated for our convenience ?

Taylor has no previous knowledge of the ape culture. He (again) believes they are on a planet orbiting a star light years away from Earth.

Aside from the language thing why would he assume he's on an alien planet ?
You would think an astronaut would be somewhat familiar with star constellations how come he never noticed they were identical ?

Then why not have all the characters [in Star Wars] translated for our convenience ?

Dunno.

And the thought was actually, "Maybe Luke and Han speak..."

But that's not the point.

The point is, with most sci-fi films, it doesn't matter how you rationalize it because language isn't as critical to the plot. And there are plenty of methods or rationales why Kirk and Spock could talk freely with Han and Jabba. You could make up pretty much any reason you want, and fit it into the fictional universe.

But with the way POTA is structered, it just doesn't work.

Aside from the language thing why would he assume he's on an alien planet ?

Don't know that either. But its written into the script, and expressed by the actors/characters; more than once.

In fact, the iconic almost-shocking closing scene of the film is entirely predicated on the fact that he does not know he is on Earth.

You would think an astronaut would be somewhat familiar with star constellations how come he never noticed they were identical ?

Totally agree. Again, I guess the easiest answer is that Taylor is just a moron! :lol

By the way, this is all just talk. I'm not defending nor trying to take down this film. I just find it a striking plot hole, and am curious if others agree.

Again, I think the true answer is that the film makers either simply overlooked this, or ignored it, and were able to get away with it due to less demanding audiences of the time.

I think the level of sophistication of the industry and the audiences has consistently played a game of leap frog - audiences demand more, hence the industry takes things a leap forward; audiences become accustomed to the new status quo, and the demands of the audience take a leap forward, and so on, and so on...

And I feel this applies to all sciences (and arts) of the film making process. Not just the visual results of the tangible production, but also the more subjective arts of acting styles, and story telling.

Perhaps in the 1960's audiences weren't as attuned to such "nuances" (or glaring plot holes), or simply didn't care.

Last edited:
Honestly, I just think it's as simple as no one really thought about it. Not the film makers nor the audience.

Going the 13th Warrior route would have worked out pretty well to show just HOW intellectually capable Taylow truly was.

I want to say that the actual book went about it this way. It was an interesting read.

-Gary

They were traveling to deep space and probably to Alpha Century the nearest Star.
That was why they were in Deep Sleep. They were asleep for something like 2000 years. The Constellations on Earth would change due to the rotation of the solar system in relation to the Galactic center of the Galaxy.

They thought they were light yeas away from earth so the constellations would be assumed to be different.
So much happens so fast he doesn't put it all together until later...then it hits him like a ton of bricks in the cave and then later at the end of the movie.
It always has made sense to me based on the fact he thought he was far from earth at the beginning and the amount of time that went by.
As far as the apes speaking and writing in English, he really didn't hear them until after his injury and at that point he was trying to survive and probably did have more important things to think about. He was a pilot not a scientist as far as I can remember right now.
Mobius

Going slightly off the subject - in the IMDB, it says that in the original theatrical release/print, you could see an ocean liner behind the Statue of Liberty (they say it has been corrected on subsequent releases).

In 1967, I wonder if it was the Queen Mary? I believe the QM was finally berthed in Long Beach in '67.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back