Planet of the Apes Spaceship builds...

MARK M3

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys,

Here's my new client build. The Planet of the Apes spaceship paperweight, the ship from the first film and the ship from Escape. Here is the completed Paperweight...

That is a beautiful kit. I am really amazed no big name companies made the ship back in the 60s when the movie hit.

Yes...it is a kit from Crow's Nest Models...
Just to be clear, the ship is a kit, but the water-effects base is custom/scratch-made, correct?

Regardless, it's brilliant! I've seen a lot of modelers attempt the "more ship under the surface" look, and yours is easily the best--it's the most realistic, and replicates the scene from the movie perfectly!

I agree. Water is one of those things that either can be done amazingly like with this or less than amazingly. There's better materials to make the water out of too these days so it looks more realistic. i remember trying it as a kid using white glue on a Gato submarine lol.

Hey Division 6!

Yes, it is...then you attach it to the base...Starting the 1/48 kits now...will post pics as I go if anyone is interested.

UPDATE!!!

O.K., I have Air Brushed the Floor and some of the interior with my IWATA Air Brush and Compressor. The client wants the roof to remain removable for interior Viewing.

Looking forward...

Firstly Capt, you are making masterpieces (again)...lovely clean work

Have you seen this website....mock-ups of a Space Airshow:
Sci-Fi Airshow: Liberty 2 Lander
liberty2-lander-1.jpg

J

Great Work, Mark!

A few extra bits of info for you guys..(I'm Drew from Crow's Nest Models)
The Paperweight kit
super fun build... includes full body decals of the re-entry weathering, and tinted clear water part... but you will want to cover up the seam between the ship and the water part with some woodland scenic "Water effect"... roughed up with a toothpick into a little clear froth at the base of the ship!

1/48 ICARUS UPDATE....The client requested I correct a small flaw on the kit. The floor as is was too shallow to allow the round escape hatch to function, so I had to enlarge the area...carefully, with my dermal, X-Acto Blades, sandpaper etc... Now the Hatch, with a small hinge I am fabricating will be able to open and Close.

The model is in it's raw form and will be cleaned up.

UPDATE...

As I work on refining the floor area beneath the escape tunnel hatch, I fashioned a working Atmospheric testing unit. I used brass and aluminum tubing to allow the unit to raise, and inversely, lower back into the ship. The tip of a pin provides the weight necessary to keep it in the "closed" position.

I also used my IWATA air brush and started the base colors on the sleeping units...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back