Planet of the Apes Rifle Ref pics needed

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Slave1

Sr Member
I've had a M1 carbine set into a wooden shell for quite a while and would like to get back to this replica.

Everyone replicates the Beneath the Planet of the Apes rifle--probably because it's more interesting looking, with its reddish brown wood grain body.

What I'm wanting to do is replicate the rifle from the first movie. I've not seen any replicas of this version. It's the black rifle and it has a completely different strap set up.

The background Beneath rifles have the D-ring assembly just screwed to the side and back of the stock, but the original film's version the straps were connected to bands at the very front and back:

There are metal bands that the strap connects to, but I can't tell if the rings are D-rings or the oval kind. Or maybe there are swivel mounts set into the bands. I think the rings are oval, but I just can't tell.

There is all kinds of ref pics on the Beneath rifles, but hardly anything for this version. Can anyone help? Does anyone have any better pics than the above? Screen caps, anything?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Slave1

Sr Member
Here's what I started with. An M1 Carbine replica, similar to this one:

I got a wooden POTA rifle base a long time ago from someone who patterned it after the background Beneath rifle he owned. Then I began to core it out with a Dremel until I was able to insert the stripped down M1 guts into it.

Kind of put it together like this guy's rendering. See the second one with the rifle done in red:

Slave1

Sr Member
I agree Stephen Munro's rendering generally, but I think instead of a large hole at the bottom of the bands, I thing there is some sort of spacer, possibly wooden, where the screw goes through, and then I think there is a swivel mount ring screwed into that. I don't think the band comes down as far as he shows, and again I don't think that big hole is where the ring passes through.

Slave1

Sr Member
I think I know how the sling mounts go now. Blew up a pic. Wish it were better resolution, but here it is:

Slave1

Sr Member
So instead of a spacer, I think I'm looking for a swivel mount that looks something like this, that would be bracketted byt he metal band:

Maybe that Munro rendering wasn't so far off after all.