Planet of the Apes Prop Replica Rifle 2011

Harada357

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know the original Planet of the Apes Rifle has been done - but I had never done it - and always wanted one for my collection.

This is the result of a weekend of sanding, sawing, grinding, painting, cutting, sealing, and a lot of love.

I ran all five of the old films while I was working. My wife was ready to go 'Ape' for me to finish :confused.

I still have some tweaks and to add a few details including the rifle sling. But the main rifle feels good. It is a cross between the stunt rifle and HERO version - a "STERO" Rifle :unsure Is that a new term?

I am giving an 'Ape' type pistol and machine gun a try. Just a change of pace.

For those who have Apes weapons/rifles - PLEASE show them off in this thread. :love

Comments please :love thanks.

Gordon

Looks great!

I have one of Rylo's but don't have pics of it.

Classic Prop from a Classic series!!

Thanks for the reply!

I have wanted to own the classic Apes Rifle prop for many years. The planet of the Apes films were a huge Science fiction influence growing up. Props and prop collecting were a small group and there was no such thing as the 'internet' we know today. :darnkids

Finaly - I built my own. Thanks to all those who provided reference pics!

Show us your Apes Props !!!

There has to be a follow up to the new 2011 Apes film - AWESOME story !!

Gordon

Nice work!

Looks a very good example. Can I ask about dimesions?

I've seen the film prop marked up as 35.5 inches long and a genuine M1 carbine as 37.5 inches. My guess it must fall between these figures.

Could you tell me how wide and deep it should be?

Would I be close in thinking I could get it on a 36" long ny 7.5"-8" width by 2"-2.5" piece of wood.

Much appreciated :thumbsup

Nice work!

Looks a very good example. Can I ask about dimesions?

I've seen the film prop marked up as 35.5 inches long and a genuine M1 carbine as 37.5 inches. My guess it must fall between these figures.

Could you tell me how wide and deep it should be?

Would I be close in thinking I could get it on a 36" long ny 7.5"-8" width by 2"-2.5" piece of wood.

Much appreciated :thumbsup

I used a 6x2x36" board. Pine worked well. I used the M-1 as a pattern - and then filled in the details. I got the shapes close - but I made it look and feel good. I even carved out the magazine well. The real M-1 Carbine was too thick for the Apes Rifle to feel right. 2" wide is perfect.

Thanks for the comments !! Gordon:love

I used a 6x2x36" board. Pine worked well. I used the M-1 as a pattern - and then filled in the details. I got the shapes close - but I made it look and feel good. I even carved out the magazine well. The real M-1 Carbine was too thick for the Apes Rifle to feel right. 2" wide is perfect.

Thanks for the comments !! Gordon:love

Thanks for coming back so quickly!

That's great advice.
I've a cardboard template which feels about right, just need to find the wood next.

Looking forward with great interest to seeing the Beneath Machine gun and the pistol.

More Ape stuff needed.

Thanks for coming back so quickly!

That's great advice.
I've a cardboard template which feels about right, just need to find the wood next.

Looking forward with great interest to seeing the Beneath Machine gun and the pistol.

More Ape stuff needed.

I think for the apes Pistol I am going for an off cannon design. There are resin kits of Ursus' pistol and any duplication can't match the detail. I have some sketches and ideas - I will post them when I can get them scanned in. It will look like a Ape soldier or Officer type model pistol.

For the cannon Ursus pistol - I would recommend just getting the resin kit. Someone cast it already and were are not going to beat the exact detail with guesswork. That is why I am opting for a simular - yet Ursus APE design.

The machine gun will have a resin cast magazine and custom barrel. The desgin is much more complex than the ape rifle. I can't wait to try it.

Attached are some reference pics of the prop pistol from the net.

Gordon

damn! that is SWEET!!!!

Thanks John !!

I had to take a break from the UFO project. Ebay gutted my stomach for the project after the pistol was stolen. I am getting back to the UFO rifles soon.

I am putting shoulder sling mounts and adding a few more details to the Apes Rifle to finish her off.

I am goging to use a non-cannon three point sling with it :behave - I know ... it breaks the cannon design - but my "STERO" version already does that. I like to think that even the Apes have 'Special Forces' - so the Three point sling is for the real "Ape Operator" who really is serious about getting his MAN. :love

Attached is the reference pic I am basing the Apes Machine Gun on. I hope it is right!! :cool

Gordon

I think for the apes Pistol I am going for an off cannon design. There are resin kits of Ursus' pistol and any duplication can't match the detail. I have some sketches and ideas - I will post them when I can get them scanned in. It will look like a Ape soldier or Officer type model pistol.

For the cannon Ursus pistol - I would recommend just getting the resin kit. Someone cast it already and were are not going to beat the exact detail with guesswork. That is why I am opting for a simular - yet Ursus APE design.

The machine gun will have a resin cast magazine and custom barrel. The desgin is much more complex than the ape rifle. I can't wait to try it.

Attached are some reference pics of the prop pistol from the net.

Gordon

Great stuff, looking forward to these.

The pistol looks to be closely based on a WWII U.S Air Force survival revolver.

Not sure about the machine gun, somewhere between a WWII M3 grease gun, Thompson, Reising or a even a german MP40?

Here is some of the pistol work in progress. It is sized to a larger .357 caliber pistol than the URSUS cannon type based of a .38 Caliber. The frame is larger and the h finish will be a little rougher cut than an Officer's side arm.

I wanted the same style trigger as the rifle - a merge between URSUS pistol and the rifle. LOTS of shaping and sanding to do - but the rough cut gives you an idea of the overall shape - CLEARLY APE.

The finished pistol will match the rifle - stained and sealed.

The Machine gun is still in the works - but this was a faster project. :love

What do you think of the work so far? :confused

Comments? :confused

Thanks.

Gordon

Man I love the grain on the rifle and the pistol is even more beautiful!

Me LIKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome projects and great work. Are you going to make the belt to go with the rifle?

I am going to mount a Rifle sling on the rifle. I hope to finish the pistol by the weekend - and then assault the Machine Gun.

I need to sand the pistol down, stain it, then clear laquer. I want to keep it rustic and crude - Like a fast cheap Ape armory might through together for Gorilla soldiers. It has to be bigger the the Snub nose .38 Ursus was carrying.

Gordon

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back