Plan 9 From Outer Space

Wes R

Legendary Member
I had never seen it, only heard of it, until last night. I got bored and went to bed early and had the tv on to unwind. One of the channels i get now that I don't think I did before is sort of a Time Warner Cable access channel with various stuff. Well they have a midnight movie now and then and this was it.
I love bad movies from the 50s and 60s and this sure took the cake. No matter how bad it got I couldn't stop watching for some reason. Poor Bela Lugosi looked a bit worse for wear in the film. It actually made me want to go get a copy of Ed Wood and watch it.

I have never met a bad scifi movie from back then for the most part, other than if they have little kids in them as they always came off as obnoxious.

Can you prove that it didn't happen? Perhaps on your way home you will pass someone in the dark, and you will never know it, for they will be from outer space. We once laughed at the horseless carriage, the aeroplane, the telephone, the electric light, vitamins, radio, and even television! And now some of us laugh at outer space. God help us... in the future. :eek

It actually made me want to go get a copy of Ed Wood and watch it.
Ed Wood is a good movie, maybe Burton's best. Just remember it's not a documentary (lots of factual errors).

As for Plan 9, I've never been able to get all the way through it; somewhere around the 30-40 minute mark it loses me every time. One of these days...maybe.

I was dosing on and off the entire time. Not because of the movie but because for some reason I was so tired that midnight actually sounded good as a bed time lol. I hate these channels for putting stuff like this on at odd hours. TCM always puts the good scifi stuff on either at 4am or in an odd slot between 2 non scifi movies.

Plan 9 may be a stinker, but it's a fun stinker. It's actually Ed's best film, not that that means much :lol His other films were much worse.

"This is the one I'll be remembered for."

That movie had to be a scandal at the time just to suggest sex. One that is way better than you would think for the time is "Panic In Year Zero". If you guys are into classic scifi and come across this book grab it. Especially for under 80.00. I got my for like 65.00 2 years ago. he does a pretty good coverage of the movies and it's a great source to make a dvd to get list.
Amazon.com: Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties, The 21st Century Edition (9780786442300): Bill Warren, Howard Waldrop, Bill Thomas: Books

Poor Bela Lugosi looked a bit worse for wear in the film.

Tidbit if you didn't already know- The footage of Lugosi was filmed three years earlier before his death in 1956. Wood planned on making a vampire film with Lugosi and had shot a few scenes of him back then. He "added" Lugosi to Plan 9 using the footage and a body double that covered his face with the "Dracula" cape.

Kevin

I tried like crazy to convince the Broken Lizard guys (who made Super Troopers) to make a sequel called, what else, Plan 10 From Outer Space. Turned out, after Ed Wood, Warner owns Plan 9 and won't let anyone near it.

criswell.jpg

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

dudley.jpg

You see? You see? Your stupid minds! Stupid! Stupid!

I tried like crazy to convince the Broken Lizard guys (who made Super Troopers) to make a sequel called, what else, Plan 10 From Outer Space. Turned out, after Ed Wood, Warner owns Plan 9 and won't let anyone near it.

Why are these companies so protective of stuff like that when they don't do anything with it? It would be a cult classic and it wouldn't cost much to film a sequel.

Weird! I actually had it on this morning! Was making breakfast while the kids went and killed each other in the snow and threw on the Rifftrax Live event - love that one because it's like every time I've ever watched Plan 9 (more times than is probably healthy) with friends and family.
Oddly, I don't think it's the worst film ever made. It actually has a coherent message and moral center unlike a great deal of other schlock - it's just so stunningly...inept at every possible level.

And Depp and Burton should have stopped working together after Ed Wood. That may be the pinnacle of Burton's career, and a phenomenal performance from Depp. One other tidbit about "Ed Wood", that's Maurice LaMarche's (The Brain) voice as Wells.

And there is a "Plan 10 from Outer Space" movie...aquired it a while back and haven't gotten around to screening it yet though.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back