Plague Doctor...

Homicidal9

Hey ladies and gents,

I am a teacher and just recently started teaching 8th grade world history. We are getting ready to start on the middle ages and one of the things I will be covering is the bubonic plague. I figured this was an opportunity to bring my hobby into the classroom with a plague doctor costume. This is made with foam mats, foamies, plastidip, and a pair of welding goggles. I will be working on the rest of the costume as well....

My friend wanted to make one of these for last year's halloween but ran out of time, I would love to see some progress pics if you have any!

Awesome! We just did medieval week at my son's school and thanks to all the good info here our family took first prize in the costume contest. Now I know what I want to go as next year, please provide a bit more insight on the construction if you could please.

Calvin

I did not take any pictures of the actually process of making it...so I am sorry about that. All I did was find some photos for reference and then drew up my own templates onto poster board. I then built a prototype using poster board to give me an overall look for the finished mask. When I was happy with it(or at least thought I was) I then transferred those onto foam and went from there.

I ended up using foamies to cover up any unsightly seams and to extend the nose. After putting it together with hot glue, I realized that I wanted it to go more to a point. I sanded down the seam lines as best I could and then painted it with plastidip spray. My original templates had the eye holes much too large for my tastes, so I went back and glue in pieces of foam and redrew the eyes out, using 8 dollar green tinted glass welding goggles I got off amazon for like 8 bucks. I even repurposed the elastic goggle straps and used them for the mask.

I can at least take pictures of the poster board prototype and the templates if anyone would like them. Thanks for the comments...

take care,
Tommy

Very cool work so far. I did a plague doctor build about last October. I went with the white mask and used bondo to simulate wood having been carved and pitted over time. I know that's not accurate, because the mask would've eventually burned up with whatever aromatics they were burning in the beak, but it fit the aesthetic well.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

There is something about the design of these things that seem as scary as the plague itself. The dark age version of a biohazard suit that scares the heck of folks in the streets.

very cool, the guys on ghost adventures when they were someplace in italy, i think. were wearing a plaque doctor mask trying to provoke spirits.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back