Blade Runner PKD - Stealth Edition

I thought it would be fun to replicate a bunch of ammo rounds for my PKD using the shells that came with the kit and photos of .44 SPL rounds as references. This first round is a prototype.
Photo-Grid-1593132881626.png

The primer is made from a steel rod on which I added a slight chamfer by clamping it in a hand drill and running a file along the edge at an angle.
IMG-20200626-074721.jpg

The brass rim is actually a part from a bunch of watch components I got some time back as potential greeblies for other projects. Unfortunately I only have 4 of these, so I cut up one of the resin shells for a fifth round. While the outer diameter matches the resin shell, I had to widen the inner diameter to accommodate the primer.
IMG-20200626-074737.jpg

I made a sleeve for the primer out of a styrene tube so it can be glued to the rim.
Photo-Grid-1593132919535.png

The shell is made out of two brass tubes, one diameter apart, that are simply glued to the rim.
Photo-Grid-1593182890268.png

Overall, I think it worked out well. Now to make 4 more.
IMG-20200626-224207-01.jpg

Shaved a 3D printed projectile that came with Ander's kit to the size and shape that I feel looks right. It's then painted with Alclad Copper and installed with glue.
Photo-Grid-1593782845630.png

I changed the primer sleeve from a styrene tube to an O ring which seems to work better.
IMG-20200703-092558.jpg

I ordered a set of alphanumeric punches and I'm going to try and add the stampings on the rims. To be concluded...

This is a staggeringly good build and a true testimony to Anders insanely good sculpting skills and of course yourself for the hard work you put into this blaster.

The thing I like most about it is that it doesn't look like its been machined in a pristine, swiss precision factory like the Tomen's mostly do. Its just ever so slightly more in keeping with the original blaster IMO in that, it looks like it could have been created using different gun parts..

Absolutely superb. Congratulations!

Highest regards
MARK

This is a staggeringly good build and a true testimony to Anders insanely good sculpting skills and of course yourself for the hard work you put into this blaster.

The thing I like most about it is that it doesn't look like its been machined in a pristine, swiss precision factory like the Tomen's mostly do. Its just ever so slightly more in keeping with the original blaster IMO in that, it looks like it could have been created using different gun parts..

Absolutely superb. Congratulations!

Highest regards
MARK

Many thanks Mark! Truth be told I had indeed envisioned this gun to be a well-maintained service firearm whose owner had replaced several parts over time. Real world active weapons are usually in pretty good condition with visible wear exclusively on components that are constantly handled. In this case, I dedicated the tiniest amount of weathering to the Weaver scope knob and the genuine vintage binding post was just perfect as-is. So I'm happy to learn that my vision has projected well into the material form.

As much as I appreciate the existence of Tomen's offerings, I must agree they do feel TOO refined, 'soul-less' even. Ultimately, there is great satisfaction in building one of these with your own hands, and I must confess I am more than a little pleased with this build. More so as I had exercised tremendous amount of restraint from weathering it like I do with my usual builds.

Best of health,
T

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back