Blade Runner PKD - Stealth Edition

tennantlim

I've been a long time fan of Blade Runner, and an even bigger fan of the iconic firearm that Deckard carries in it. For years I've waited for an opportunity to build a replica but I've never been happy with the kits available back then. It's virtually impossible to import a metal kit from Tomenosuke or Richard Coyle into my country. The closest I got to owning a decent replica of the PKD is a squirt gun from Elfin Knights that's exclusively sold in Japan. I needed a friend in Tokyo to order one online and ship it to me.

Just a few months before this post, I had completed a build based on Bill Doran's take on the PKD and while it's a pretty cool design, it's just not quite the same.
2020-05-14-11-18-59-DL-44-IMG0096-JPG-2500px-72dpi.jpg

So imagine my excitement when I learned that someone had designed STL files with close reference to the World Con photos and technical drawings of the 2 base guns. Couple that with the option to print the kit with industrial grade printers in super smooth epoxy resin, the stars were aligned for this build.

That's a long way of introducing you to my build log of my very own PKD M2019. However, as with my recent blaster builds, I will not be super fastidious with accuracy on this build. The most notable deviation from Deckard's gun will be the color palette even though his serial number 5223 is imprinted on the receiver. The printer is unable to print the grips in clear amber, but the transparent clear grips they produced are, as you will see in the photos, sublime. Hence I've had to plan the colors around the clear grips and I think they worked out great!

STL files - Anders Fogde Pedersen LINK
Resin print - The Imperial Factory LINK
Weaver knob and binding post pewter casts - Tip Top Workshop LINK
Light kit - David Deason (look him up on Facebook)

When the kit arrived, I was absolutely impressed by the quality of the prints that managed to capture the intricate markings on the Steyr-Mannlicher receiver.
raw-print.jpg

IMG-20200523-164246-01.jpg

IMG-20200523-164403-01.jpg
IMG-20200523-164629-01.jpg

I was especially amazed by the transparent clear grips. They're like glass!
IMG-20200523-154627-01.jpg

IMG-20200523-155114-01.jpg

This kit requires 10 different types of screws and 2 sets of pins that I sourced from a local hardware store and from online vendors. This was how I sorted them.
IMG-20200617-112312.jpg

I thought it would be cool to flame-blue the steel screws and let them be the accent colors against the monochromatic palette. The exceptions were M3 slotted cap screws that came in black and the M3 grub screws (on the magazine holder) that I left in silver.
Photo-Grid-1592387698489.png

Last edited:
The Bulldog grip frame was missing the main spring detail that I really liked, so I made some modifications based on references i found online.
Photo-Grid-1592627850301-01.jpg

Photo-Grid-1592627764778-01.jpg

Photo-Grid-1592627732704.png

IMG-20200620-233717.jpg

IMG-20200620-233317.jpg

It's always a good idea to test fit your kits, so I made a full assembly after drilling and tapping all the required screw holes. Well except for a couple of greeblies and the triggers...
IMG-20200615-180957.jpg

IMG-20200615-181032.jpg

This was also a good opportunity to test the mechanisms.
IMG-20200615-175908.jpg

IMG-20200615-175837.jpg

I decided on a monochromatic, stealthy color scheme that I imagined could have been issued to covert units. For the first time, I decided on finishing this in pristine condition as if it had just been freshly assembled in the factory. This was how I mapped out the components and their color groups.
IMG-20200617-112527-01.jpg

IMG-20200617-112808-01.jpg

IMG-20200617-112849-01.jpg

IMG-20200617-112359-01.jpg

IMG-20200617-112907-01.jpg

Every part was painted gloss black and allowed to dry for 24 hours. The metallic colors were all Alclad that I've grown to love tremendously having used them extensively in my recent builds. Here's how she looks now.
IMG-20200621-163316-01.jpg

IMG-20200621-163531-01.jpg

It's missing the Weaver scope knob and EE-8 binding post that are currently in the mail from the UK.

To be continued...

Last edited:
So those clear grips were 3D printed as well?

Amazing work. The finish on everything is fantastic!

Freaking Awesome build! And fantastic paint job! Side question that I've heard but have no experience with. The alclad don't rub off with handling?

that looks great mate.the finish is fantastic(y).
that's amazing, looks like a metal tomenosuke! (y)
love the variant build's that looks awesome! :love:
Gorgeous! Great work! And I love the colours (or lack of them!)
Bloody beautiful!

Thank you everyone!

So those clear grips were 3D printed as well?

Amazing work. The finish on everything is fantastic!

Yes they were 3D printed, sandblasted, polished and given a UV bath.

Freaking Awesome build! And fantastic paint job! Side question that I've heard but have no experience with. The alclad don't rub off with handling?

Thank you! No the Alclad doesn't rub off, at least in my experience so far.

What brand resin did you use for the grips?
I honestly don't know what the printer used.

A bouquet of WOW for the build and the finish paint job is amazing!! Love the variant on that prop. Pro-Job all the way(y)(y)(y)(y)
Absolutely amazing paint job! Well done! :love:
Thanks guys! I took a huge risk on the color scheme and I'm glad it worked out.

Superb result. Anders spent a lot of time getting the files correct so its really good seeing such a terrific build.
Congratulations...
Thank you Mark. I'm a huge fan of your craft. Indeed I wanted to honor Anders' tremendous efforts in producing a gorgeous file, one that I had literally waited a very long time to transpire.

So I'm curious if you priced out what it would cost to have this kit done by someone like Shapeways vs. The Imperial Factory, or if The Imperial Factory was your first and only choice for some reason. You mentioned you're in an "too accurate gun replica" unfriendly country. Might it be the UK or Australia? Was geographic convenience a consideration when choosing The Imperial Factory? I've never heard of them before, but followed your link above and they definitely do some impressive work...

So I'm curious if you priced out what it would cost to have this kit done by someone like Shapeways vs. The Imperial Factory, or if The Imperial Factory was your first and only choice for some reason. You mentioned you're in an "too accurate gun replica" unfriendly country. Might it be the UK or Australia? Was geographic convenience a consideration when choosing The Imperial Factory? I've never heard of them before, but followed your link above and they definitely do some impressive work...

I'm in Singapore and TIF is in China. They use industrial grade printers so they are able to produce large and/or multi-part prints within very short times. Prepping the prints require only light sanding to remove barely visible print lines.

Certainly the geographical factor results in significantly shorter delivery times and the productions costs are very reasonable IMO. However, for me, the biggest selling point is the incredible quality of their prints and this was a consideration based on previous projects I've worked on. The kits were such joys to work with, and this is important to me.

I've ordered prints from Shapeways with varying print qualities and shipping to Singapore was insane. Obviously, this is subjected to the individual's expectations and location.

Hopefully this sheds some light on my motivations for picking TIF as my defacto printer.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back