PKD - Stealth Edition (completed)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

tennantlim

I've been commissioned to build a PKD in the same Stealth style. The process is pretty much the same, aside from some painting techniques that I will elaborate on later, so there won't be as many detailed posts of the process.

Here's the kit after a test fit.
IMG-20200729-170236.jpg

IMG-20200729-170246.jpg

IMG-20200729-170224.jpg

IMG-20200729-170158.jpg

With the lessons learned from my previous build, I was able to fabricate the main spring assembly with higher fidelity.
IMG-20200801-101946.jpg

IMG-20200801-102004.jpg

Photo-Grid-1596257755351.png

This time I rubbed graphite powder on the stainless steel components instead of Alclad, and I used matte black as the base coat for the upper receiver and trigger guard instead of gloss black for a dry gun kote finish. Here it is at about 70% completion. I wasn't happy with the finishing on several parts so I've had to strip their paints and redo. I'm also waiting on a few replacement parts and the light kit.
IMG-20200808-074942.jpg

IMG-20200808-074741-01.jpg

To be continued...

masterjedi322

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Insanely awesome build!

A few questions, if you don’t mind:
  • How does the printed resin handle tapping for the hardware?
  • How does the paint handle repeated movements? Curious if the bolt or cylinder are showing any signs of wear?

Sean

tennantlim

Insanely awesome build!

A few questions, if you don’t mind:
  • How does the printed resin handle tapping for the hardware?
  • How does the paint handle repeated movements? Curious if the bolt or cylinder are showing any signs of wear?

Sean

Thank you Sean!

With a hand drill, you could simply tap the screws directly into the holes. Just do it slow to avoid over tapping.

The cylinder pin suffers the most abuse, so it's a good thing it's not visible most of the time. In fact I'm already planning to replace it with a metal pin in my next build. I haven't disengaged the bolt much, but the paint has remained intact thus far.