PIXAR'S UP Various Carl & Ellie Prop Build Thread.

Deckard1981

Recently I watched UP again and was very touched, moved to tears and entertained. I was inspired to then create as I am sure many have before me the various sentimental personal belongings of Carl and Ellie for my loved one as surprise gifts.

The first thing in this project list is the Grape Soda Badge Young Ellie pins to Carl.

I found (10) 2" aluminum blank bottle caps online and have ordered (10) 3" Oversize safety pins.

I have recreated the artwork and felt the 2" size of the caps I found would give the real world object a novelty feel of the animated prop.

vlcsnap-2012-01-06-12h34m31s18.png

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

Last edited:
I drilled holes for where the caps will take the oversize safety pins as seen in the screen cap above. I damaged one so I am down to (9).

My next step will be give all the caps a good coat of grey primer, and then a good coat of white paint or two.

I will then apply my artwork to the caps and then clear coat, and wet sand.

I will come back to this project soon....

Another part of this collection I have already recreated was the painting Carl and Ellie did above their fireplace.... I framed ours though.

vlcsnap-2012-01-13-17h06m52s95.png

IMAG0068.jpg

I guess being a graphic designer it was admittedly lazy of me to create the artwork in Adobe Illustrator and print it.

I know I should have painted it.

Popeycock! I had to remove the artwork from the caps and they didn't come quietly. In any case I washed them and laid a good primer base coat down on them.

I've seen a number of he grape soda pins on etsy but I felt they were always off in some way; I can't put my finger on it... But I don't get that feeling from yours so great job!

Also, really wonderful job on the painting!
What is yours printed/painted on? And what size is it?
That is something I would certainly hang on my wall!

I've seen a number of he grape soda pins on etsy but I felt they were always off in some way; I can't put my finger on it... But I don't get that feeling from yours so great job!

Also, really wonderful job on the painting!
What is yours printed/painted on? And what size is it?
That is something I would certainly hang on my wall!

Thanks, I really loved this movie and I wanted to nail each piece so this is encouraging. These are after all for my loved one. I only hope I can always make good on those deeply important things before its too late or one of us is gone.

I guess being a graphic designer it was admittedly lazy of me to create the artwork in Adobe Illustrator and print it.

I know I should have painted it.

I wasn't criticising, just interested, whatever works best for the project.
I to loved this movie, i made a silicone bust of Karl, i may make Ellie to in the future

I wasn't criticising, just interested, whatever works best for the project.
I to loved this movie, i made a silicone bust of Karl, i may make Ellie to in the future

No worries, but as a traditional prop maker turned graphic, and visual artist I was calling myself lazy for not painting it.:lol:lol:lol

The Aluminum Cap is 2" in Diameter, with a 3" Stainless Steel Safety Pin.

Leftovers (8) will be available in the JY

As well as the Paradise Falls 11" x 17" Print...

Vintage Gallon Jug ordered on ebay $13 including shipping (in Transit at the time of the post)

For the tape I am using Freezer Tape, and I have already used my drawing tablet to create the label, which I printed on a Fine greyish paper.

IMAG0083.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back