Pirates of the Caribbean Talking Skull - UPDATED V2

ChickenHaunt

Sr Member
Ye come seekin' adventure and salty old pirates, eh? Sure, you've come to the proper place.

I was asked to make a working (talking) replica of the talking skull plaque that appears at the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean as it appeared when the ride opened in 1967. What became immediately apparent is that every element is going to have to be custom, so let's get going!

Step one is to sort out the skull. Although the plaque has gone through a few revisions over the years, it appears most of the pieces have remained the same, but with new paint jobs and dressing, so I based the skull sculpture on some newer photos like this one. The Phantom in Disneyland Paris' Phantom Manor appears to have the same skull, and that offered some additional insight.

It took a while to get it to feel right, but here's where I ended up.

That got molded and cast last week in hollow resin (Smooth On 65D), so now I can start on the mechanics. Stick around...

This is cool. Are you going to make the jaw move when it talks? I want to do something similar to make Murray from Monkey Island, but I haven't thought of a good way to do it yet.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back