Pip-Boy 3000, How to handle a paperweight, I think....

teslabe

I have two of the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Deluxe Bluetooth Edition props that went bad, so I thought I'd start a tread for anyone that are going to try and repair, modify or rebuild their "paperweight". This is what I've done so far. With the help of my friend "rworne", he is handling the software, I hope to get it working.... I have just done a temporary placement of the electronics, just in case we can access the software of the props original circuit board, then I can go back to that setup, this is just the start of this project. Feel free to add to the thread what you might be doing.... I'll be using a Raspberry Pi A+ for this version.
A stuck Pip-Boy.jpg
Pip-Boy 3000 01.jpg
Pip-Boy 3000 02.jpg
Pip-Boy 3000 03 just the start of the layout.jpg

Attachments

rworne

Nice. A couple things:
1. It's polling the GPIO for the vertical menus. I'll add a something to make the vertical menus work better. The keyboard controls do not have these issues.
2. There is audio output for the radio stations, it should be coming out the 3.5mm jack. Though it is possible since I gave you my MicroSD card for this version that it is going out HDMI. The visualizer is looking at the waveform of the audio, it just doesn't work very well. It's also a resource hog. Playing audio alone does not impact the performance.
3. I figured out the screen sizing issue so now it can fill the whole screen while improving the entire fake boot sequence.

I am glad to see the majority of the controls are working now.

xl97

Sr Member
Nice...

Love when props have added electronics! (hate static props!).

Question(s):

1.) in first pic... why the main RPi and the Zero?

2.) What 'board' is currently plugged into the HDMI output? (looks to be going the LCD screen driver board or something?)

teslabe

Nice...

Love when props have added electronics! (hate static props!).

Question(s):

1.) in first pic... why the main RPi and the Zero?

2.) What 'board' is currently plugged into the HDMI output? (looks to be going the LCD screen driver board or something?)
In the first picture I was comparing the way the Pi Zero ran the code verse the Pi-B+ which was just a stand-in until the Pi-A+ got in, also, how well the composite video looked, the mini HDMI connector on the Zero was going to be a pain to work with since I already made some HDMI/VGA converter boards for the displays I have for this project. The other pictures show the Pi-A+ being used. Once the code is finished I will go back and see if the Zero can run it without being overloaded, I like it's small size and if the composite video is good enough I may use it in the end, still too early to say......

Last edited: