Pip-Boy 2000 "Mk. I" from Fallout 1 / Fallout 2

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

firebirdman

And then, I ran into a problem with the wiring. I had calculated that I had _just_ enough pins in the Pi to connect everything, but that assumed that the Pi had analog input pins. Which it doesn't. The analog inputs are needed to read the potentiometers. I could add ADCs, but even that would increase the pin count. So, plan B: I'm using an Arduino to read the inputs, and send the input events to the Pi via a serial connection. This has the added bonus of less wires running from one half of the case to the other. Now, if some idiot just hadn't installed the Arduino to the space that was already taken up by the power switch... Oh well. I'll see if I can somehow jam them both in there.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Markus

And then, I ran into a problem with the wiring. I had calculated that I had _just_ enough pins in the Pi to connect everything, but that assumed that the Pi had analog input pins. Which it doesn't. The analog inputs are needed to read the potentiometers. I could add ADCs, but even that would increase the pin count. So, plan B: I'm using an Arduino to read the inputs, and send the input events to the Pi via a serial connection. This has the added bonus of less wires running from one half of the case to the other. Now, if some idiot just hadn't installed the Arduino to the space that was already taken up by the power switch... Oh well. I'll see if I can somehow jam them both in there.
Inputs to Arduino, Arduino serial to RPi, and RPi doing the output to an LCD screen and little audio amp. That's exactly what I'm foing right now with a project (which I will post here in the near future). I am using a RPi 3 B+ (because I still had one) and an Arduino Nano (because it has a MiniUSB plug, from which I can directly connect it to the RPi's USB port).
I love your project! And I'm looking forward to seeing your next steps.

firebirdman

I actually planned on using a Pi4 originally, but I ran into trouble trying to power the Pi and my display from my power bank. I connected the Pi4 to a USB-C jack, and the display into a USB-B jack. Result: The Pi kept power cycling every couple of seconds. I guess the USB-C was too smart for its own good somehow.

So, I switched to Pi3, and ran two separate USB-B cables from the power bank to the Pi3 and the display; no problems whatsoever.

firebirdman

Thanks! The build's been sitting on a shelf as I've been too busy doing more outdoorsy work now that the weather permits it. Here's hoping the weather turns bad so I can get back into this... :p

Uridium

I always imagined this was more like a tablet... a big chunkly tablet... sort of like a Speak & Spell toy size.

But loving your build, its great to see some of the early Fallout stuff.