Pin-up Photography with movie props... some of my work!

Kojack

Hey everyone! I joined the forums a few months back, and I've gotten my hands dirty with a few things since I've been here. I've only done a few things like re-creating Hank's beer labels from Breaking Bad and I'm now finishing up a run of Rocketeer helmets I've made from a mold I'm working on. I'll be sharing those soon!

I didn't know where to put this, but I thought maybe it would be a cool thing to share for all of you TV and film geeks! I've been working about six months now at a prop shop in North Hollywood called Global Effects and I've gotten the chance to use a few of the costumes and props for my photography. They have been amazingly generous as an employee to use some of there stuff to really make my work stand out and be a little different. All of them are just to have fun and make cool images, but I think I'm going to try and end up doing a retro, 60's styled space girl calender... we'll see!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the photos and I'm sure I'll be sharing and posting more soon! The first image is actually of the real Firefly space suit used in the TV show, I think it might have gotten used in the movie adaption, I'm not sure.

View attachment marcy-1-2.jpg

These others are random cute Pin-up styled shoots that I'm doing to build a series. Those are real screen used Mercury suits used in a few films and shows including HBO's From Earth To the Moon and Astronaut Farmer. The other's have random little screen used props I can't identify. I think that bubble helmet might have been used in an Austin Powers movie, but I can't be sure.

23918510080-16067062.jpg

marcy-2.png

A33A7395.png

Hope you guys dig them, and I hope I'll be having more to share soon!

Last edited:
You've definitely nailed the retro calendar art look with a brand new twist. I think a calendar would sell well, although calendars are not big money-makers.

I love it. I agree with the calendar idea even if it's not a huge money maker. You nailed the pinup style perfectly.

My idea would be taking orders from collectors who want their favorite item/prop with a pin-up girl holding it. I sure would get one!! This is jaw dropping work man. Awesome!!

Thank you so much guys... that's the goal! I think it would be pretty awesome.. I have about half the outfits shot. I stopped working at that prop shop and now I'm making most of the things by hand so it takes a little loonger. :)

Hey everyone! Well, Remember all these fun movie prop wearing space girls I've been shooting? I've finished a handful of others and I'll be actually getting this calendar done this month! I'll let you all know when that's almost ready. I have three more girls lined up to finish shooting, only I'm running a little low on props... so I've been making a lot. Anyone in the Los Angeles area have any retro movie props they wouldn't mind getting featured in a photoshoot? :)

Anyway, here are a few more I've been working on! A few more things from a local prop shop, but most of it I've been building in my own shop and I've been really happy with how they've come out!

Photo Oct 27, 7 01 32 PM.jpg11893957_10207273150765605_1370414696829647824_o.jpgPhoto Jan 11, 1 22 02 PM.jpgaudreyspace1.jpg

Almost done with the series! I'll be posting my link to the calendar soon if anyone is interested!

Thought you guys would like my Robot Monster helmet I made in this one. :)

untitled-879.jpg

That last one on Nov. 7th, with the red background is quite painterly. There's something about the saturation and the bright highlights and shadows that almost looks like a 'pulp' magazine cover.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back