Pigmenting silicone with food colouring?

callmemilo

Sr Member
Hi everybody... sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum to ask.

Has anyone here ever had any success using food colouring as a pigment in silicone? I've heard of using various types of paint, but thought this could possibly be an option too. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Having never tried it myself I can't speak authoritatively but my thought it that it wouldn't work very well. What kind of silicone are you using? Smooth-on makes a sampler of silicone coloring for about $25 which is plenty of color for a lot of silicone. My thought is this, silicone is not cheap, so i wouldn't go cheap trying to color it and possibly inhibit or ruin the run. Especially if your using platinum silicone.

Used icing pigment to colourise latex. Works very well, but colours are limited. It would be really cheap to test your theory with a little silicone.

Having never tried it myself I can't speak authoritatively but my thought it that it wouldn't work very well. What kind of silicone are you using? Smooth-on makes a sampler of silicone coloring for about $25 which is plenty of color for a lot of silicone. My thought is this, silicone is not cheap, so i wouldn't go cheap trying to color it and possibly inhibit or ruin the run. Especially if your using platinum silicone.

Actually I was eyeballing some metallic red food colouring, my thinking is it would be easier than trying to find metallic red powder. Expense isn't really the issue, the resulting colour is.

well the food coloring is going to be water soluble and silicone pigments and oil paints are not so I'm going to say no it probably wont disperse in the silicone.

Unless your "experimenting" with cheap caulking silicone, I'd be buying the proper stuff and getting the result you want.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back