Pictures of the Emperor's Chair

corranhornjje

Sr Member
Very cool. I've not seen it in this stage before. Looks like it was sculpted straight from foam. He's worked on a lot of recognizable films.

http://www.keithshortsculptor.com/returnofthejedi.htm

starwarschair2.jpg

starwarschairweb.jpg

Incredible. :eek

I like the big giant Ming heads. The irony is that for twenty years everybody was watching Flash Gordon in 4:3 and they were completely cropped out of the picture. Then one day you get the widescreen edition and there they are.

This guy rock. The funny thing is I had looked at making the Batmobile out of foam one time. lol The lines lend itself to a hotwire tool as well as the Emperor's chair :)

Thanks for the link to the site. It gives me lots of inspiration :)

that is awesome.... (and yes i was going to ask rileyreplicas if he would make this :lol)

man, that chair has got to kill your back after a while though.

very very cool. i always assumed the chair was built around an existing model of lay z boy or something.

chris

WOW. Thanks for the link. That guy has some very impressive credits..

"Alien"
"Saturn 3"
"Flash Gordon"
"Raiders of the lost Ark"
"Indianna Jones and the Temple of Doom"
"Star Wars: Episode IV- Return of the Jedi"
"The Dark Crystal"
"Brazil"
"Little Shop of Horrors"
"Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes"
"Highlander"
"Willow"
"The Princess Bride"
"The Adventures of Baron Munchausen"
"Batman"
"Judge Dredd"
"Goldeneye"
"The Fifth Element"
"Mortal Kombat"
"Star Wars: Episode I- The Phantom Menace"
And the list goes on...very impressive..

Please Help Me
I Searching For Detailed informations on Designs sources and blueprints of Emperor Palpatine chair from Return of the Jedi (1983).
There is information available about who designed the chair Palpatine uses in Episode III. I'm looking for similar information regarding his throne in Episode VI.

Star Wars Storyboards: The Original Trilogy
1.jpg

The Star Wars Archives: Episodes IV–VI, 1977–1983
The Making of Return of the Jedi
2.jpg

The Art of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
The Making of Return of the Jedi
3.jpg

Emperor Palpatine’s chair sculpted in polystyrene by Keith Short
4.jpg

I find it interesting that at some point somebody changed the leather pattern on the chair so the back matched the seat, instead of having contrasting strips like in Joe Johnston’s sketch and the initial sculpture.
They also carried the padding up to the very top of the chair, whereas in the sculpture there was a dark void that framed the crown of the Emperor’s head, rather like an anti-halo. Was that meant to have a glowing panel installed at one point like in the Johnston sketch? I can see how that might make lighting his face difficult on set.
ExcV6TcXAAMiOAb.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back