Photos needed for Greedo/Jawa Ruger Mk1 blaster

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by wuher da brewer, Sep 23, 2005.

1. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I want to make the Greedo gun and the Jawa gun. I have a couple Ruger Mk1 casts plus the appropriate muzzles. Parts of SW has no good photos of the Greedo gun and nothing on the Jawa gun. I hear they're largely the same except for the muzzle. Does anyone have any good photos or can you share photos of your custom? Here is my starting point for Greedo.

[​IMG]

2. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Wuher,
    Here's a couple of my buildup, based on an airsoft Mk I and some resin add-on parts, along with the same machined muzzle piece you have.
    Eric

3. wuher da brewer

Thanks for the pics. What are the parts from? Do you have any good reference photos? I appreciate all your help.

4. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

You might want to wait because Chris (Lonepigeon) said he had a lot of info he hasn't been able to post yet on the Greedo/Jawa blaster. Maybe if we bug him it will speed him up. :) ;)

5. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I've been working at it slowly. ;)
    I just haven't had time to finish blueprinting the parts.
    The two antenna looking pieces on top you may have seen recently on Marcus/kurtyboy's MerrSonn. Chen machined those up for us based on my prints.

The piece inbetween them on top of the gun (cylinder and angle piece on replica above) is actually just a short piece of t-track.
    Superjedi has the Ruger target sight on his although it should be just the standard Ruger sight like on Wuhrer's casting.

There's a round screwcap on the back end of the gun (not sure if it's on superjedi's). It's the same type of cap as on the Imperial comlink.

There are lot of details that I could write about extensively, but I really need to finish blueprinting parts to explain it all clearly.

6. wuher da brewer

Well, I look forward to your blueprints then. What about the Jawa blaster?

7. wuher da brewer

Brian sent me this pic.

[​IMG]

8. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

I knew the rear sight on mine wasn't the correct one, but at the time, the only Mk I replica I could find had the larger sight. (I used a KJ airsoft "bull barrel" Ruger)
    The guy I got the resin parts from offered a replacement barrel with his parts as well. It was made so the machined muzzle piece just slid over it to the correct position.

9. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Superjedi - The only airsoft I could get was the bull barrel too so I had to replace my rear sight.
    That's really the only modification I've done on it so far.
    If you want to replace it you can order a real rear sight here:
    www.e-gunparts.com
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chr...el=1910zMKI&MC=
    Under Ruger MK1 you want the "Rear Sight, Fixed, Blue - For Standard Barrels".

The slot on the rear of the airsoft where the sight slides in is probably a little small like mine was, but you can widen it with a needle file pretty easily.

10. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Whoa coolness. Thanks, Chris, I ordered one. For 3 bucks??? How could I not?
    Eric

11. Sluis Van Shipyards

I wonder if there's enough interest for someone to do some of those Mer Sonn pieces? I know a bunch of us need to upgrade our Mer Sonn blasters now.... and there'd probably be enough interest of these blasters too.

12. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

I've always thought that was a scratch build combined with a casting. The knurled part looks like resin is exposed, and the holes in the cone look uneven. Even considering the illusion caused by only portions of holes on the other side showing through.

13. wuher da brewer

I'd be willing. I need 8 of them for what I have.

14. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Yep, like the other resin guns in ANH they thickened the Ruger trigger guard.
    I left my airsoft alone though. I like the more functional look.

16. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Forgive my naivety guys, but that muzzle at the top post looks very similar to the grill on the Han hero blaster?

17. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Master Member

Something I noticed on the grip... The highlighted part looks to be a baseplate for a small light duty roller caster, if it hasn't been previously identified that is...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  18. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Gunner,
    For the pieces you're referring to, I used those aluminum parts that everybody calls Imperial discs. The ones that are seen on the caps Imperial officers wear. I just screwed them in using the existing upper grip screw hole. (Had to use longer screws of course)
    Eric

19. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wonder if the long part along the side with the front that looks like the tail of a dart are model kit parts. Missile/bomb/drop tanks parts?

20. Sluis Van Shipyards

If that is two parts, it looks like the piece facing the barrel might be some kind of aircraft intake, for some type of jet. The front, again facing the barrel, looks like it's got an opening.

21. wuher da brewer

There's been some good info so far.

Superjedi, what did you use for your antenna greeblies on top?

Also, what are the two cylinders on the mount attached to the breech?

Is the rounded nub on the front of the muzzle another screw cover?

I can see from pictures that the arrowhead looking detail is indeed on the left side as well. What is in between them? Also what other details does the left side hold?

Is the grip detail a button snap, Imp disk, or something else?

Thanks for those of you in the know. I appreciate you sharing your information.

22. kurtyboy

The grip detail is an 'Imperial' (or Rebel, if you are that way inclined.) disc. It was on some of the Rebel DH17s too after all.

23. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

I've changed the rear sight on my Greedo DT-12. Thanks, Chris. That gun parts website you recommended is FAST.. :)
    Here are a couple of detail shots showing the resin parts I bought. I know that I got them around the middle/end of November, 2004. I wish I could remember who I got them from. . . if you're out there, chime in.
    Eric
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. wuher da brewer

Can anyone help me figure out what this piece is? I think I can make do on the rest of the pieces.

[​IMG]

25. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks like a model airlane bomb. Those would be the fins. (or is this already known?)

26. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Superjedi - nice improvement.
    I like gunpartscorp.com, I just wish they had more parts that I need.
    If you remove the cylinder and bull barrel front sight piece you have mounted on top and replace it with a piece of T-track grip material it'll be even closer to the real prop.
    That will lower your antenna pieces to the correct height (the head of them will sit on the top surface of the gun) and the stem will rest in the notch of you new rear sight.

27. Sluis Van Shipyards

Scroll up to my last post. If we had some model airplane people, maybe they could say if I'm right.

28. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think that's some kind of tool or machine part.

If it were a scale bomb, I don't think there would be scratches in-between the 'fins' — the fins would prevent most objects from touching thath recess.

See this handy diagram :)

[​IMG]

-Mike

29. wuher da brewer

I think you may be onto something Mike because I have the nagging suspicion I've seen that part before.

30. wuher da brewer

Here is my progress. Yes that's four fishing weights. I hammered the needles into the length of grip. I intend to back fill the fishing weights on the needles.

I'm still unsure what to use for the details below the barrel. Any help would be great. Thanks.

[​IMG]

31. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking great so far Evan :):thumbsup

Markus

32. Sluis Van Shipyards

I'm not. It's just my opinion, but I think that was due to the molding and casting process, the thicker trigger guard wasn't intended to be like that. I may be wrong of course. :)

33. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I wasn't planning to bulk up the trigger guard on mine either. They just did that to cast the gun and make it more sturdy for film use. Like on the Merr Sonn or ANH DH-17 you would have to bulk up the trigger guard and loose the trigger itself.

Wuhrer - there are many things you could make that missile looking piece out of. If you're only going for the general look you could use parts of a pen and maybe a wire nut.

34. PodRacer X

PodRacer X Active Member

I'm reviving this thread because I just got an Airsoft Ruger Mk 1 with the intention of building up a Greedo blaster. I got 2 Han Solo blaster grills from Blast-tech for the flash suppressor, but having looked at them up close, I don't think that was what was used on the original. I'm only a moderate stickler for absolute accuracy, but this is waaay off.

Does anyone have a source for the flash suppressor? Or any of the other parts, for that matter (though I imagine I could sculpt some of them if I needed to). Or would it be best to put a WTB thread up in the junkyard?

35. PodRacer X

PodRacer X Active Member

Never mind. I just remembered Russ. :D

36. Bradleyfett

Bradleyfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For what it's worth, I was the one offering the resin add-on parts a couple of years ago. They were casts of the metal parts I had made for the Disney World Star Wars Weekends Greedo costume gun I made for them:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mommydawn2000/album?.dir=/4509

Big thanks goes to Chris Trevas for his help with this in 2004.

I made one for myself at the time too based on the airsoft Ruger. I'd like to do the Jawa version as well- is anyone offering resin casts of the Ruger?

Mark

37. jedi5150

jedi5150 Well-Known Member

I'd also be interested in a resin-cast MK1...

38. protokev DMD

protokev DMD Sr Member

i'd be interested in a few radia engine casts myself

39. OdiWan72

O.k. guys...

I enough people would be interested, I could provide the resin MK1´s (molded from my original one), while David aka Boba Dept could provide the radial grills. He gave me green light to start an interest thread for him, check out the JY in the next days.

But the possible run of MK1´s wouldn´t ´start ready before the end of july.
    Even then, I´d recommend to look out for the different airsoft, which should look way cooler than a resin cast IMHO.

Markus

40. Sluis Van Shipyards

We need to find someone to do the little antenna pieces on top. Someone on here made some for his Mer Sonn blaster (forgot who), so maybe if someone has the dimensions a run could be done?

41. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sluis Van Shipyards @ May 12 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]1243401[/snapback]</div>
    If someone did those antenna pieces, I'd probaby be in for a set to upgrade my Greedo blaster. :)

42. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(superjedi @ May 13 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]1243440[/snapback]</div>
    If someone did those antenna pieces, I'd probaby be in for a set to upgrade my Greedo blaster. :)
    [/b][/quote]

Do you mean the 'wire'-looking pieces coming out of the front and back of the part on the very top?

Mark

43. OdiWan72

The antennaes for the Han Hero and the MerrSonn blaster(s) were a commisioned run, realized by Chen (postboy).

But my guess it that they´d have to be slightly modified to work with this blaster, since the attach with the large end.

Markus

44. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Chen did the antennas from my blueprint.
    The parts are used on the Greedo blaster, Merr Sonns, and Han ANH Hero.
    No mods necessary unless they trimmed the stem shorter.
    The piece inbetween them is a piece of T-track.

45. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonepigeon @ May 13 2006, 04:31 PM) [snapback]1243677[/snapback]</div>
    I see what piece you are talking about now.

How do you suppose they were attached to the T-track at the large end like that?

Mark

46. Sluis Van Shipyards

I need some to upgrade my Mer Sonn and my Greedo blaster. :D

47. kurtyboy

I also discovered these antennas on the Landspeeder dashboard.

<div class='quotetop'>(lonepigeon @ May 13 2006, 04:31 PM) [snapback]1243677[/snapback]</div>

48. tk2647

tk2647 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any news to the Blueprints of Greedo´s Blaster ?

I wnat to build one and need some more information, f.e. on the "thing" on the end of the barrel,

thanks
    tk2647

49. Sluis Van Shipyards

I was looking at the SW Chronicles book today and it reminded me to post these pictures. I've been wondering about the "pontoon" part on the side, if it's actually two cylinders or a camera clamp piece similar to the following pictures. I thought Lonepigeon said this part was used on other props, but has anyone seen one close up to see that they are actually cylinders and not a part similar to these with shadows hiding the detail?

[​IMG]

Flash with this type of part (holds the reflector on):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

50. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

No I'm absolutely certain it's the same catamaran/pontoon part used on many other blasters.
    I'm scratchbuilding one now and it will be cast up.
    I have plenty of reference to know exactly what the part looks like.