Photon Ultra DLP 3D Printer

COlson

Is anyone familiar with DLP 3D printers? I saw an add for this Anycubic Photon Ultra 3D printer that's a kickstarter, and the buy in price is only $399. And it looks like it prints extremely high detailed prints. If all statements regarding it are true, seems like an amazing printer at quite a steal. But I don't own a printer and have never used one, but am interested.

Did you see the resolution of this machine, optical resolution will be 1280×720, that not very impressive, it's not even HD (1920x1280)....:oops:

The $399 price is limited to the first 100 units sold during the Kickstarter, which drops on Tuesday - standard retail is $599.

That being said, some of the prints they’ve been showing off have been impressively detailed. That, and it seems the DLP technology will extend the overall life of your printer as compared to LCD screens.

If you’re doing smaller, detailed stuff, I think this is a really great printer, but not something I need in my toolbox at the moment…

Sean

No, I didn't notice that. Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about 3D printers. Just saw it and though it looked nice and affordable. Thanks

I found their launch page which has specs. Oh well.

Supposedly actual resolution in the prints can be boosted by pixel shifting (similar to what some digital cameras do with their sensors to increase resolution). There are some other advantages to DLP as well, the lifetime of the DLP micromirror array and UV light source should be much longer than on even a mono LCD screen. People are getting 1000-2000 hours of life out of most mono screens, and the DLP chip should last upwards of 20,000 hours. Also because the DLP engine isn't directly under the vat, leaks in the FEP are potentially much less disastrous. There are rumors floating around about Elegoo doing a smaller DLP printer as well.

maybe its a mistake in the specs list but i suspect the res in 2k or 4k.... the res youre talking about might be the lcd controller display on the front?

But a photon is cheaper than that and higher res than what you said?

Supposedly actual resolution in the prints can be boosted by pixel shifting (similar to what some digital cameras do with their sensors to increase resolution). There are some other advantages to DLP as well, the lifetime of the DLP micromirror array and UV light source should be much longer than on even a mono LCD screen. People are getting 1000-2000 hours of life out of most mono screens, and the DLP chip should last upwards of 20,000 hours. Also because the DLP engine isn't directly under the vat, leaks in the FEP are potentially much less disastrous. There are rumors floating around about Elegoo doing a smaller DLP printer as well.
I didn't see any mention of "pixel shifting in the info/specs in Anycubic's posting, all I saw was 1280x720, but aside from that, dust would be an issue, at that price I don't think the "light-engine" will be sealed and you'd have to open the printer to clean the DLP's window, lens, mirror and back of the glass that the resin tank sits on.

I happened to be free at the time of yesterday’s Kickstarter so I thought - what the hell?

I logged in a few minutes ahead of the launch and was constantly refreshing the page. Once the Kickstarter went live, I promptly grabbed one of the Early Bird packages, put it in my cart, went to checkout, and nothing…

The page froze. I tried refreshing multiple times. Even went back 2 or 3 times and attempted to make the purchase again to no avail.

By the time I went back again, the Early Bird packages were gone.

Anycubic subsequently sent out an email apologizing for the issues with Kickstarter’s website and even discounted another 300 of the printers they sold to the Early Bird price, which I thought was a very nice gesture.

Unfortunately, I ended up not purchasing anything because I was only going to go through with the purchase if I could get it at the Early Bird price.

Oh well…I wasn’t hard up on getting one anyway, but was just a little miffed that the website crashed.

Look forward to seeing what people make with these when they hit the streets!

Sean

I happened to be free at the time of yesterday’s Kickstarter so I thought - what the hell?

I logged in a few minutes ahead of the launch and was constantly refreshing the page. Once the Kickstarter went live, I promptly grabbed one of the Early Bird packages, put it in my cart, went to checkout, and nothing…

The page froze. I tried refreshing multiple times. Even went back 2 or 3 times and attempted to make the purchase again to no avail.

Anycubic subsequently sent out an email apologizing for the issues with Kickstarter’s website and even discounted another 300 of the printers they sold to the Early Bird price, which I thought was a very nice gesture.

Unfortunately, I ended up not purchasing anything because I was only going to go through with the purchase if I could get it at the Early Bird price.

Oh well…I wasn’t hard up on getting one anyway, but was just a little miffed that the website crashed.

Sean
Yah, It sounds like the demand was so intense that it crashed the Kickstarter servers.

Sean
Bummer. I don't really have the money at the moment to get one, but thought it sounded interesting. I forgot about the kickstarter going live. But I'll be curious to see what is said about it once it's out there. The prints in the advertising looked extremely detailed, and no print lines, of course.

Just happened upon a review video of this printer. I know it's gonna cost more once released, but I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this one. Check out this review. The prints look fantastic and clean.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back