Photoetching Tutorial

Interested here as well.
I have dabbled with photo-etch using the system from Micro-Mark and would like to learn new techniques.

-John

I just spent 2 hours writing a response, ony to somehow get logged out, and then submission info was lost because I wasn't logged in. Y'all missed a great intro post on photoetching :)

I just spent 2 hours writing a response, ony to somehow get logged out, and then submission info was lost because I wasn't logged in. Y'all missed a great intro post on photoetching :)

Which is exactly why I always write longer posts using something like WORD or WordPad
- so I can save it JUST IN CASE something exactly like what happened to you occurs.

:behave

So, now that the lesson has been learned . . . . GET TO RE-WRITING !!!

:D

Just wanted to post an update. I've decided to make a video for this tutorial. Over the last few days I've been putting some stuff together, and learning the frustrating art of video making, and editing. If all goes well I should have something presentable in the next week or 2.

Johnny Fever,

I looked at the Micro-Mark website, and just got frustrated...

Micro-Mark Pro-Etch Photo Etch System

The short answer to why is that they sell a bunch of stuff you can get at Home Depot for $40, for $130. Some things aren't needed, and other things have better workarounds. Personally, I've had no luck with resist film and laminators. Depending on the thickness of your metal, a laminator won't do you any good anyway. Sodium Hydroxide - Red Devil Lye - way to caustic. There are better alternatives. Ferric Chloride - biggest rip off since the invention of politicians. Fish pump can be helpful, however depending on the resist film, can also damage your work.

I'll add all that to the video. I'm not a good talker, so I might have a Steven Hawking sounding thing do the talking for me. Let me know if there's anything aside from the "how to" that you might want to see on there (as in you have a more detailed question about a certain part of the process).

Looking forward to your info! Don't worry about your lingo, or grammer, or
any of that crap! Sure their are some grammer Nazi's! (My grammer really sucks!)
But I'm sure they'll get over it!

I looked at the Micro-Mark website, and just got frustrated....

I agree that for the price it is not worth it. I bought the system around 07/08 when it was around $75. It did however work fairly well for what I needed it for at the time.

Can’t wait for the video to learn better (and hopefully cheaper) ways to etch.

-John

jasonw2112 - Thanks for your confidence, but it's more a matter of me not being a good speaker. I'm going to write a script for the video anyway, so better to not have me trying to stammer my way through it. That way I can also make available the transcript.

CaptainMarvel - That's a tricky answer. Short version is as far as you want, however the deeper you go the more detail you lose. You can etch through from both sides and meet in the middle and that will cut down on distortion. If you're dealing with thin materials, like .005 inch brass, you can leave it in the solution for a few hours, come back and have no more brass left :) That is one of the topics that will be shown.

Johnny Fever - Photoetching seems to have some sort of secret mystery - lost treasure - thing to it. Somewhere along the line it became a lost art. Back 20 years ago it was quite common with homebrew computer people who knew how to develop circuit boards and did their own home etching. There is a company called MG Chemicals who make circuit boards that are pre-sensitised (have the film already attached) for the homebrew people. For some reason major companies that used to make the film no longer do.

Small update. Just finished part 1 of tutorial that covers artwork, stencils, and stencil making. I also now have a Youtube account that this project will be posted to when complete. Was going to use my own website to post the video, but those who host the site said to go through Youtube.

Another small update. I found a fairly good text to speech software that doesn't sound like Stephen Hawking that I'll be using. I also was able to film some laminating techniques. It'll still be another week or 2 before it all comes together.

Another small update. I found a fairly good text to speech software that doesn't sound like Stephen Hawking that I'll be using. I also was able to film some laminating techniques. It'll still be another week or 2 before it all comes together.

I'm really admiring your continuing enthusiasm for this !!!

The REAL trick is to try to MAINTAIN that enthusiasm and see this very generous and exciting tutorial project through to fruition. If you're a right-brained "A.D.D. inflicted" person such as myself, it is often times all too easy - even consciously unknowingly so - to allow projects to fall by the wayside in the wake of some new "spark of interest" that pops up before my eyes.

KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK !!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back