Philly con

KrangPrime

Master Member
Anyone ever go to Wizard World in Philly?

Are there many costumed people walking around? Also curious how the photo ops and panels work. Assuming there are any panels...

Heading out there to see scott bakula and dean stockwell :) and toying around with wearin the proton pack.

Too bad I don't have a QL Comlink to bring.. :)

Went to WW last year. There are people in costume, but it certainly didn't seem like a ton like you see at Comic Con or D*C. Maybe the percentages are the same, though, as WW isn't as big?

Anyway, yeah, you can wear the pack and you won't look out of place.

As for panels, no idea. Didn't hit any. I think you need to pay for photo ops (certain ones, anyway).

Hope this helps.

the captains price is outrageous...but what an op. Too bad most like myself can't justify it.

I will probably get James Hong, and quantum leap. Maybe Shatner and stewart if the latter shows up. so I guess these are all day kind of things and no set time?

I've gone every year for the last 11 years. The con's had it's ups and downs over the years, it's not what it once was but last year wasn't as bad as it's been. This year all the prices have gone up and for the 2nd year in a row they're being extremely stingy with the local fan groups. Only thing I can think of is they're trying to compete with the big cons by bringing in big names (this year they have most of the Trek captains) so they charge more and give out less in order to afford it. If you're planning on seeing any of the big names be prepaired to stand in line all day for 2-3 autographs. Standard con rule of Friday's and Sunday's are typically better apply but not all celebs are there all 3 days.

My main gripe with the con for years now has been the comparative lack of anything other than the dealers room going on. They have a few panels and things but for the most part if you want in on one you have to stand in line all day and that's all you get to do. Add on the fact that dealer's rooms in general have become overpriced wastelands of kitch compaired to 10 years ago(when stuff was harder to find and the general public didn't know about cons) I mostly go just to costume and hang with friends anymore.

As far as costuming goes I'd say it's average. I've gone with the 501st most years and we always have a decent showing and my local Ghostbuster group usually shows up along with the usual Mando and Jedi groups. With the con limiting passes it's been cutting down on the numbers from all the groups though. There's a fair amount of general public costuming but the quality varies widely. Most of the really good stuff is either booth babes or other groups that have a table and switch into something else for a while.

1.) I think I might go this year. Was debating donning the Indy outfit, but might not. Wouldn't mind meeting up with some RPF folks if any of y'all were game.

2.) What is the "standard con rule of Fridays and Sundays"? Skip it those days?

3.) I wasn't planning on doing any autographs or photo ops. I don't care enough for that. I'd rather wander by and shout "Hey, thanks for all the entertainment!" and then head on. Is it free to do that? :)

4.) What else is there at these things if you aren't getting autos/photos?

I've gone every year for the last 11 years.

so i take it it's standard to just get there an hour early for the quantum leap photo op and hope for the best?

regarding packs and cons... have you had anything break off due to close quarters? aws thinking of just wearing the pack, but scared of this. also not sure how strong i'll be with it for even an hour ;o)

1.) I think I might go this year. Was debating donning the Indy outfit, but might not. Wouldn't mind meeting up with some RPF folks if any of y'all were game.

I'm up in the air for right now. I had planned on going, but trying to watch the pennies. If I do end up going, it will be for one day, and will be without any photo ops...which kills me as I wanted pics with Kai Owen and Gareth David-Lloyd. I'd enjoy an RPF meet up if I can make it. I thnk there'll be a few others there as well.

No idea. Probably not a bad idea to skip them. I can't imagine what they'll have going on.

3.) I wasn't planning on doing any autographs or photo ops. I don't care enough for that. I'd rather wander by and shout "Hey, thanks for all the entertainment!" and then head on. Is it free to do that? :)

Yes. But last year I tried to get pics of Bruce Campbell, and they had con staffers shooing people along and trying to hold up signs to prevent photos. Don't know if it was his requirements or not, but it made it challenging. I didn't see this at any other tables, but Adam West and Burt Ward were kind of secluded, perhaps to prevent random photos.

I did get a chance to talk to Brian O'Halloran last year for about 10 minutes. He was a last minute add on, and wasn't publicized too much, so he had no line at his table. Very nice guy.

4.) What else is there at these things if you aren't getting autos/photos?

Get sore feet walking around on the concrete floor looking at millions of comic book boxes, etc.

Sorry, word wrap kinda messed up my point. It's "Standard con rule of Friday's and Sunday's are typically better" as far as crowds and meeting celebs. The A-listers usually have a line but by mid-day Sunday most of the low A to B listers are hanging out with nothing to do. Last year I ran into Adam Baldwin wandering around twice and made Norman Reedus do a doubletake with my Spaceball costume.

regarding packs and cons... have you had anything break off due to close quarters? aws thinking of just wearing the pack, but scared of this. also not sure how strong i'll be with it for even an hour ;o)

Worst thing I've seen happen to a pack is the alice frame snapping but that was due to the builder messing up more than crowd problems. Just be concious of where you are and you should be fine. So far the Philly GB's haven't gotten a table but if we do you're welcome to hang out and stash your pack there if you need to.

Sounds like there's not a huge point in going to the con if you don't want to get autographs or photos from celebs. I went to one other con once -- DragonCon in Atlanta back around...2001 I think? There was stuff to see and do, and stuff you could buy beyond simply comic books (lots of anime-related stuff, for example). Will none of that be at the Philly con? I mean, is it literally celebs and boxes upon boxes of comic books....and that's it?

At some of the cons, yes that's true. You need to find someone to hang out with to make it more fun. As far as this con goes, you have to ask yourself...how many more chances do I have to see and actually get a pic and autograph with Stan The Man?! Makes it worth it for me, even if I only make it for one day.

Maybe my experience last year was colored by the fact that I went with a bunch of comic book geeks instead of a bunch of prop nerds, and I'm not into collecting comics. :lol

I like comics, but I don't know that that alone will draw me in. I'm just wondering what else there is to do there aside from stay on the prowl for cool geeky girls. :)

Worst thing I've seen happen to a pack is the alice frame snapping but that was due to the builder messing up more than crowd problems. Just be concious of where you are and you should be fine. So far the Philly GB's haven't gotten a table but if we do you're welcome to hang out and stash your pack there if you need to.

ouch...I was thinking of mainly wearing it as a cool photo op prop. The girl I'm going with might be wearing a wonder woman costume, so it'd make a nice story at least :).

I'm hoping with all these star trek people at the con, they will at least do a panel or two. I'd hate to travel all the way out to philly just for an hour in line for a photo or two and some browsing :)

Been there for the past years, and it's been a great time. Like Jack said(whom i've been there with many times), it's always more fun when you're there with your buds.

I'm there with the 501st group, in my full Fett attire and have had a few things broken over the years due to people bumping me. It's an occupational hazard. I'd say, just go for it, you have a blast. Look us up at the 501st table, we'll be there. Stop by and say Hi!!

Last edited:
I'd hate to travel all the way out to philly just for an hour in line for a photo or two and some browsing :)

That's where I'm coming out, although I live in town. But do I really want to spend the cash for tickets just to go and wander around browsing? Especially if I'm probably NOT gonna stand in line for a photo or autograph?

It's a good time. I went last year, definitely going this year. My son is 11, so he enjoys the hell out of, and I get to feel like a kid again watching him get so excited over all the cool stuff to see.
Mike

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back