philip k dick mug

johloh

ok, hopefully this doesn't get booted for not being specifically a movie prop. you guys are all pretty much sci-fi fans so I know we have to have some philip k dick fans out there.

I'm trying to find information on this mug. The picture is of philip k dick's typewriter and mug he used while writing. PKD died in 1982, so its obviously pre 80s, looks 70s to me... I know i've seen personalized named mugs like that before, if we could find a better image or the maker then I think I'd have a better chance at duplicating it.

typewriter-mug.jpg

any information would help! thanks!

I bet that mug is from the Papel company based in LA. i searched around for a while for the same cups used in Capricorn One and eventually found them to be that brand. Your mug is a different style but i recognise it from that search.

well, its definitely a curtiss jenny. thanks dcarty. (this is the closest angle I could find to match the way the one in the image is flying)

dare_Curtiss_JN_4D_Jenny.gif

however after about 1.5 hours of searching I cant get much closer on finding the mug, either by trying to look for papel stuff or not. though I do agree that it seems likely that it could be a papel mug.

mr. webber, where did you come across the image of that mug? did you find back catalogs? contact someone at papel? I'm at a dead end and a push in the right direction would be a huge help.

Good old fashioned gum shoe work found mine, lots of eye melting searching on Ebay. You will need a blank one if you are going to put an image on the cup, the process wont allow covering a previous image, i ended up using a transfer. It doesnt have to be a Pepal cup, you should be able to find a cup with a similar handle.

if you decide to build your own, you can get the graphics made as Dye Sublimation transfers then use a Mug Wrap to bake the image onto the mug.

Mug Wrap for Dye Sub

It may have been made out of generic graphics using just such a process.

webber - its funny you used the words eye melting. they are seriously burning right now. scrolling through page after page of galleries is killing me. I'm obsessed now.

megazone - good info, it looks like I might need to remake the image. no luck so far finding it.

I found two different mugs that use the same font. the "MOM" cup is listed as a "USA Mom Coffee Mug".

and the dave train is listed as having "square mark on bottom with pitcher in center? and USA beneath."

The question is, is it "made in the usa" or is it a company like "usa pottery" or, who knows what. or is it a papel cup like webber thinks, which is made in the usa.

I think I might be over thinking this...

attachment.php
attachment.php

well, its definitely a curtiss jenny. thanks dcarty. (this is the closest angle I could find to match the way the one in the image is flying)

dare_Curtiss_JN_4D_Jenny.gif

however after about 1.5 hours of searching I cant get much closer on finding the mug, either by trying to look for papel stuff or not. though I do agree that it seems likely that it could be a papel mug.

mr. webber, where did you come across the image of that mug? did you find back catalogs? contact someone at papel? I'm at a dead end and a push in the right direction would be a huge help.

That's a very close match. Well done.

It's good to know that someone is obssesed with pkd as I am. Too bad we haven't came up with a cup with even a P, H, I, or L. I think its looking like we might need to re-do the artwork from scratch. Which will be a pain, and disappointing for accuracy.

anybody know a program that could simplify and vectorize the plane photograph? Then all we would have to do is make the simple background shapes to have an image that we could scale and print for a transfer.

ok. I cleaned up the image a bit, and tried to take the curve and angle out of it. Although, now that I think about it...do you want a slightly curved image when putting it on a cylinder?

attachment.php

I'm not too good with graphics, but this looks a little better. I'm sure someone can vectorize better than this though.

cleaned up image
attachment.php

vectorized image first attempt
attachment.php

I also swapped the order of tail colors to match, and rotated the image to make the top wing more level like in the mug.

ai file included below.

The vector looks great. it needs to be brown instead of tan.
you don't want the image curved, it will be applied to the mug flat.

I'm not too good with graphics, but this looks a little better. I'm sure someone can vectorize better than this though.

cleaned up image
attachment.php

vectorized image first attempt
attachment.php

I also swapped the order of tail colors to match, and rotated the image to make the top wing more level like in the mug.

ai file included below.

updated pictures...

attachment.php

and just for fun on a mug...
attachment.php
attachment.php

road needs to be lighter...

I just noticed the plane needs to be shrunk a little more and moved forward...any other advice? shrink the letters a bit?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back