philip k dick mug

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by johloh, Jan 30, 2012.

1. johloh

johloh New Member

ok, hopefully this doesn't get booted for not being specifically a movie prop. you guys are all pretty much sci-fi fans so I know we have to have some philip k dick fans out there.

I'm trying to find information on this mug. The picture is of philip k dick's typewriter and mug he used while writing. PKD died in 1982, so its obviously pre 80s, looks 70s to me... I know i've seen personalized named mugs like that before, if we could find a better image or the maker then I think I'd have a better chance at duplicating it.

[​IMG]

any information would help! thanks!

2. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool idea!

Here's a blow of the mug for better IDing purposes.

[​IMG]

Nick

3. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

I bet that mug is from the Papel company based in LA. i searched around for a while for the same cups used in Capricorn One and eventually found them to be that brand. Your mug is a different style but i recognise it from that search.

4. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, the airplane on the mug is a Curtiss Jenny. That's all I've got.

5. johloh

johloh New Member

well, its definitely a curtiss jenny. thanks dcarty. (this is the closest angle I could find to match the way the one in the image is flying)

[​IMG]

however after about 1.5 hours of searching I cant get much closer on finding the mug, either by trying to look for papel stuff or not. though I do agree that it seems likely that it could be a papel mug.

mr. webber, where did you come across the image of that mug? did you find back catalogs? contact someone at papel? I'm at a dead end and a push in the right direction would be a huge help.

6. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Good old fashioned gum shoe work found mine, lots of eye melting searching on Ebay. You will need a blank one if you are going to put an image on the cup, the process wont allow covering a previous image, i ended up using a transfer. It doesnt have to be a Pepal cup, you should be able to find a cup with a similar handle.

7. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

if you decide to build your own, you can get the graphics made as Dye Sublimation transfers then use a Mug Wrap to bake the image onto the mug.

Mug Wrap for Dye Sub

It may have been made out of generic graphics using just such a process.

8. johloh

johloh New Member

webber - its funny you used the words eye melting. they are seriously burning right now. scrolling through page after page of galleries is killing me. I'm obsessed now.

megazone - good info, it looks like I might need to remake the image. no luck so far finding it.

I found two different mugs that use the same font. the "MOM" cup is listed as a "USA Mom Coffee Mug".

and the dave train is listed as having "square mark on bottom with pitcher in center? and USA beneath."

The question is, is it "made in the usa" or is it a company like "usa pottery" or, who knows what. or is it a papel cup like webber thinks, which is made in the usa.

I think I might be over thinking this...

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. stromo

stromo Well-Known Member

That's a very close match. Well done.

10. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

Only it being related to Phillip K Dick could explain the amount of searching I have done.

I have not found a brother to his cup, but I have found a cousin.
    Wrong Plane, Wrong name, definitely related.

Sopwith Camel - Ken

11. johloh

johloh New Member

It's good to know that someone is obssesed with pkd as I am. Too bad we haven't came up with a cup with even a P, H, I, or L. I think its looking like we might need to re-do the artwork from scratch. Which will be a pain, and disappointing for accuracy.

12. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

13. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

Found a site, the "E" in the Dave definitely matches.

Fontsy Outlaw

14. johloh

johloh New Member

yup outlaw font looks perfect. just needs to be filled in.

[​IMG]

15. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

anybody know a program that could simplify and vectorize the plane photograph? Then all we would have to do is make the simple background shapes to have an image that we could scale and print for a transfer.

16. johloh

johloh New Member

ok. I cleaned up the image a bit, and tried to take the curve and angle out of it. Although, now that I think about it...do you want a slightly curved image when putting it on a cylinder?

[​IMG]

17. Mooniteman

Mooniteman Well-Known Member

18. johloh

johloh New Member

I'm not too good with graphics, but this looks a little better. I'm sure someone can vectorize better than this though.

cleaned up image
    [​IMG]

vectorized image first attempt
    [​IMG]

I also swapped the order of tail colors to match, and rotated the image to make the top wing more level like in the mug.

ai file included below.

19. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

The vector looks great. it needs to be brown instead of tan.
    you don't want the image curved, it will be applied to the mug flat.

20. johloh

johloh New Member

updated pictures...

[​IMG]

and just for fun on a mug...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

road needs to be lighter...

I just noticed the plane needs to be shrunk a little more and moved forward...any other advice? shrink the letters a bit?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  21. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

I don't think the letters need to be any smaller.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the update with the plane changed.
    the color looks good.

22. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

can the green be a little more emerald instead of grass green?

23. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

Now I have to source a blank cup and figure out whether it's cheaper to use a service or get the transfer gear myself.

24. modeljag

modeljag Active Member

Probably not you can't really change colors once you make a picture it'd be near impossible unless you are a wizard at it

25. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

the kind of handle is called an "ear handle" and it's rare on a straight sided mug.

If I can accept a "C handle" instead I can find a lot more options available.

26. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

Really? I would think the re-sizing of the plane would be harder.

27. johloh

johloh New Member

No its easy to change size and color. I think he was being sarcastic.

But I'm also a wizard too. Not at illustrator, just in general.

28. johloh

johloh New Member

still feels too amateurish to me. I dont think my graphics skills are high enough to accomplish this.

[​IMG]

29. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

I'll take a crack at tracing the plane model in a similar fashion to the other mug.
    I'll try to upload the results by this weekend.

30. iamarobotbeep

iamarobotbeep New Member

31. iamarobotbeep

iamarobotbeep New Member

Did some work with a curtiss jenny sketchup model.
    Had to adjust the model a bit to reduce some details and change some colors.
    Output was touched up in Photoshop to make it look a little less precise, make the background transparent.

Original model can be found in the Google 3D Warehouse, if anyone else wants to play around with it.

32. stromo

stromo Well-Known Member

Excellent job so far, fellas.

33. johloh

johloh New Member

dang, thats a good idea. never even thought about trying that, totally the way to get the angle right!

34. iamarobotbeep

iamarobotbeep New Member

Attempt at a rough drawing of the landscape with the plane and text comped together.

35. johloh

johloh New Member

nice work robot! way better than my version...

I only see thee "issues" with it, though I could really live with all of them...

1. The top wing looks like it should have more of a curve to it then its current flat look.

2. the wheels look a little too far apart

3. the brown back wings (right next to the red,white,blue wing) look a little big.

36. madmanmoe64

madmanmoe64 Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell from the original image but it looks to me like there is a lot of two tone shading, i.e the grass has two separate shades of green going on, the road has two separate shades of brown, not a massive contrast just a touch to add a bit more depth to the picture.

Most of the plane panels also seem to have this in varying degrees.

Don't wanna overcomplicate things but it just sticks out to me.

Then again looking at that 'Ken' mug it is just single tones. So maybe it is just the low quality pic that's throwing me off. :confused

37. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

I love the fact that the colors miss filling all the areas.
    last things to check off.

- angled wings
    - stars on the top wing
    - fill the cockpits with black.

38. Marbel

Marbel New Member

Hey guys!
    Although this thread is dead for some time, I wanted to let you guys know that I've found the exact same print (with the name Lester) on a different kind of mug here:

Lester Mug
    You can see perfectly all the details and everything.

s-l1600.jpg s-l16002.jpg

39. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

40. Marbel

Marbel New Member

Oh, I also wanted to say that you guys did such an amazing job! I mean, wow!

I'll try to straighten the image from the Lester mug and swap the names so it reads Phil, but I'll have to look all these things up since I haven't done any of this before. Any help appreciated! :)

41. johloh

johloh New Member

the thread has been dead but the project hasn't left my head at all...

awesome find! the mug is clearly a different shape, though the image is perfect. the actual mug appears more regular vertically while the ebay one appears to be more curved.

I wonder if this was a generic screen that was provided to places to screen print onto mugs? the colors look different too, especially the red/blue on the tail...could be fading but they look like different colors to me.

anyway, its a much better picture to start with so we should get it to look much better. I'll play with it in photoshop and see what I can do.

42. Marbel

Marbel New Member

I did notice that the blue is really faded out, also the whole print is way darker than PKD's mug.

I tried my best, but with my brilliant PS skills and my PS CS3, I can't properly straighten the wings and overall my poor attempt of correcting the distortion was...sad. :- D It doesn't look very compact and somewhere along the way vanished the quality of the picture and it looks ridiculous next to the name.

Anyway, here it is:

PKDmug01.jpg