Phalanx Close-In Weapon System 1/9 Scale

TazMan2000

Master Member
Designing this partially in 3D. Block 1B version.

20191224_184043.jpg

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Taped and screwed stuff together to see how things move and what clearances I have. The drum magazine has two end caps I can pop on and off, for now, so I can put in and adjust a counterweight since it is quite top heavy.

20191228_095646.jpg

TazMan2000

Oh holy ****... Between that beast and the gun they built the Warthog around, I'm not sure which is more badass...

The GAU-8 Avenger 30mm in the A-10 is definitely more badass. This one is only 20mm but still is cool looking. There is a Close-In Weapon System called the Goalkeeper that uses the GAU-8.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
The GAU-8 Avenger 30mm in the A-10 is definitely more badass. This one is only 20mm but still is cool looking. There is a Close-In Weapon System called the Goalkeeper that used the GAU-8.

TazMan2000
What the Phalanx has over the aircraft mounted weapon is its ability to track and lock on to an incoming bogey, right? Like an Exocet...

Not certain a Warthog could shoot down an in-bound missle 30 feet off the deck. But the Phalanx can!

Love your model, Taz - keep up the excellent work!

I decided to build the mounting to this as well. There is still a back section to go. I printed out the frame of the mounting and just glued styrene to it while accommodating the holes for the 1/4 inch brass tube that needed for mounting the vibration table dampener (I have no idea what the proper name is). The base is really light weight.
The panels on the hexagonal/trapezoidal are 3d printed as well. I could have modelled them the traditional way but on the real one there are bolts evenly spaced around them so I put holes in the places they would go so I can more accurately glue bolt heads to them.
There is a land based version of this weapon as well called the C-RAM that is supposed to seek and destroy incoming mortars, missiles and rockets.
I've read that the US Army turns it off when they are firing since this thing tends to lock on outgoing munitions as well.

20200109_074832.jpg

TazMan2000

Looks pretty good but it looks like it might be missing the ammo feed chute/belt.

And speaking of the C-Ram, check this out:

Last edited:
Looks pretty good but it looks like it might be missing the ammo feed chute/belt.

And speaking of the C-Ram, check this out:
Looks good

Thanks, but it's nowhere near finished. The ammo feed chutes are going to be a challenge, but I have an idea on how to make them. The real ones are made up of several parts...frame, sliders and a rail system designed to move the rounds. Basically a linked belt of semicircular trays. Brass photoetch wouldn't work at this scale, and it would have to be a custom job anyway. I think 1/6 scale belts of 7.62 will work, even though the rounds will be too short, but they will be mostly hidden by the chute.

TazMan2000

Designed and printed out the maintenance steps/handles(Is that what they are? No pics on the web with anyone using them for that purpose). Also designed a device to limit the rotation of the gun/radar. I would assume that this limiter is different for some ships, because the Phalanx can be mounted high on aircraft carriers and much lower on frigates/destroyers. You would think that it shouldn't be able to shoot holes in your deck.
The ammo chute is going to be a bit of a chore. I printed out a few and glued them by hand to a strip with notches. It turned out better than expected but the spacing was too far apart, and I realized I needed a jig to assemble this together. The biggest problem is to get a material flexible enough to bend the chute in a smooth curve but strong enough not to snap or disbond the links when stressed to a curve.

20200113_085134.jpg
20200113_084725.jpg
20200113_084852.jpg

TazMan2000

TazMan2000 i keep meaning to offer some pics to you. Until recently I have been a 3D modeler working on training apps for the Navy. Last year I spent a couple days on a ship in Hawaii and got some pics of one of these guys with the intention of 3d modeling one for myself. PM me if intereste.

so I just looked on my phone and only took 2 pics from roughly the same angle,sorry. Still welcome to’em though. I got more pics of the big front gun and exterior of the bridge. I was exhausted as I was only 6 weeks out from brain surgery and going from D.C. to Hawaii and back in 72 hours made for mushy memorie...

Last edited:
TazMan2000 i keep meaning to offer some pics to you. Until recently I have been a 3D modeler working on training apps for the Navy. Last year I spent a couple days on a ship in Hawaii and got some pics of one of these guys with the intention of 3d modeling one for myself. PM me if intereste.

so I just looked on my phone and only took 2 pics from roughly the same angle,sorry. Still welcome to’em though. I got more pics of the big front gun and exterior of the bridge. I was exhausted as I was only 6 weeks out from brain surgery and going from D.C. to Hawaii and back in 72 hours made for mushy memorie...

Thanks Fett_Ish . I think I have enough around the top and sides. But if any of your pictures has views from where it attaches to a ship deck, that would be useful.

TazMan2000

Taz,here they are,and for anyone else, not like it’s secret stuff. It’s funny, on the ship you can take a pic of just about anything, but if you take pics from land on the other side of the fence from the ship they’ll take your phone.

Attachments

• 58613FFB-D6C9-4D68-9432-B014B4751B0B.jpeg
    58613FFB-D6C9-4D68-9432-B014B4751B0B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 283
  • F44341D7-CB0E-40FB-949A-87C47F8B56D3.jpeg
    F44341D7-CB0E-40FB-949A-87C47F8B56D3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 286

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back