Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old

Saw it at the cinema, very well done. The recreated forensic dialogue really brings it to life. Didn't appreciate the muppets with the big tubs of popcorn and coke.

I saw this last weekend and it pulled my heart strings all over the place, it was visually stunning and hunting all at the same time.

It really brought to life what these poor soldiers went through from both sides of the boarder.

Peter Jackson also needs to be commended for a job he did not receive a penny for, I can't imagine the hours he put into this.

Since my Great-Grandfather fought in Ypres it's only fitting that I watch that wonderful documentary (and I saw a lot of WWI archive movies in my lifetime) that seems like the one that'll surpass any others before it:cool:

Marv I thought this might be what you were referring to in that other thread a few weeks back. This looks so good. I had no idea they were doing theaters with it. I cannot wait!

Marv I thought this might be what you were referring to in that other thread a few weeks back. This looks so good. I had no idea they were doing theaters with it. I cannot wait!
Yes this is the one it's incredible. You have to wait to about 15 minutes in to see how the film becomes transformed, but at the point it really blows your mind how it brings the old footage to life. Think it's somewhere round the 40 minutes mark when you see one of the soldiers fire what looks like it could be a No3 Mk1 rifle grenade.

Just saw this earlier this week.
Haven’t had a gripping, saddening, inspiring film experience like this in quite some time.
I’m truly impressed with all aspects of this film, from the technology, to the music, to the narrative style, the colorization, the 3D, all the way down to directorial choices made regarding the content.

If I were to ever meet Peter Jackson, I never thought I’d have anything I wanted to talk to him about more than LotR, but this is it.
Marv I think you are correct about the Hales. I believe it is even in the commercials when the fellow blows his own helmet/hat off of his head when launching it.

It was particularly painful to hear the stories of when the war was over, what the soldiers came home to. Sounds somewhat similar to the vast majority of US soldiers’ Viet Nam return home experience. So sad to understand that we never learn. About anything it seems.

Just seen that this is on tonight on BBC 2 at 9.00pm (UK)>It might be available on BBC i- player.from tomorrow

Last edited:
I saw that this is playing in 3D at my local theater.

I hope to say that I have seen it before it ends its theatrical run.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back