Peter Jackson's Beatles "Get Back" series on Disney+

I guess I would just call myself a casual Beatles fan. I've got many of their songs in my playlist, but I can't say I've ever actually owned a Beatles album. Sure, I acknowledge, accept and celebrate their greatness, but I've never really been into the fandom of it. This first episode is over two and a half hours long. It took me three sittings to get to the end of it. Unless you are a super fan, it can get a little boring. I kept hoping a Spinal Tap moment would happen or something, but it never did.

But yes, I will watch all installments because I do appreciate seeing great music being made from the beginning, all the way through.

Watched all 3 episodes over the long weekend. Absolutely compelling to watch. Seeing their creative process was really fascinating. The build up to the roof concert was pretty thrilling even though you know how it's all going to end. Oh and I loved how they gave those cops the runaround. That was hilarious! :lol:

I was sad watching it, but thrilled at the talent and processes. I was prepared for a lengthy treatise afterwards, commenting on this relationship, that observation, etc. It was the wife who made this succinct comment:
Once they decided to manage themselves it was over.

Really crazy how that roof concert was really a last minute decision and barely planned. Hell, most of what they do seems barely planned.

I was sad watching it, but thrilled at the talent and processes. I was prepared for a lengthy treatise afterwards, commenting on this relationship, that observation, etc. It was the wife who made this succinct comment:
Once they decided to manage themselves it was over.

Yeah, that was a sad part. They even knew they needed a manager. It was actually pretty shocking to see how undisciplined they were.

Huge Beatles fan, I really enjoyed it. I was blown away at the speed that they wrote the music. A couple times, one of them would come in with a song they had come up with the night before. I love seeing the progression of a song, especially a classic Beatles song.

I think the film was perfectly able to capture something that humanity can't comprehend today-

Four men can adamantly & idealistically disagree, each having right & valid opinions/points, & STILL have enough respect for each other to create something that changed the world forever.

Amazing.

I found it fascinating how much input each of them had on each other's songs. We have always been told that by this time they pretty much wrote alone and the others were glorified session players. With this project at least, they all worked together once a song was brought in. I was really surprised at how much input Lennon had on Get Back since later he said he thought it was directed at Yoko.

Huge Beatles fan, I really enjoyed it. I was blown away at the speed that they wrote the music. A couple times, one of them would come in with a song they had come up with the night before. I love seeing the progression of a song, especially a classic Beatles song.
I loved that Starr had just the bare beginnings of his Octopus’s Garden song and George gave him some input, later to be included on the Abbey Road album. Just that little bit, maybe less than two minutes of screen time.
Maybe I missed it, but some of the tension I have historically heard during this period was that Lennon didn’t bring in the songs he had promised and McCartney felt he needed to crank out more. Plus Lennon and Ono were doing heroin during this period.
Even if that last paragraph was true, they had been together ten years by this time and that’s tough. George started around age fifteen and the others were only a couple of years older. Most bands don’t last that long, and look at what they gave us during that time and how they mastered their craft, and all of them gave us more after the breakup.
Those guys have influenced more musicians in the last sixty years than anyone. I can remember when my daughter ‘discovered’ the Beatles, and a couple of years ago my granddaughter did the same.

As I was watching it, I couldn't believe how slow bits of it were. Like, how did all of this make Jackson's final cut? Surely some of this (a lot of this) could have ended up on the floor. After finishing it, though, I couldn't accept a single second being left out. How do you convey the drudgery of day to day work, without showing it? A montage? I think not. How do you show the goofing around, the frustration at lack of progress, etc.?
Brilliant - "Get Back" was simply brilliant.
I think my favorite scene was in episode one, when all the guys (except Paul) were talking about staging for the upcoming concert, and you can hear Paul plunking out the chord progression for what would eventually become "Let it Be". If that didn't make the hairs stand up, nothing will.

I have to say, Paul McCartney’s talent blew my mind.

This particular clip, below, in which they actually captured “Get Back” slowly being composed by Paul was amazing to watch.

Wow, really blown away with the first episode, spending the time with them, I almost feel like I have met them

I'm really a Lennon fan, but seeing Macca create the song Get Back right in front of me has filled me full of real admiration, from mindless strumming, the tune quickly comes into focus, then the words form

Can't wait till tomorrow for part 2

John

I have to say, Paul McCartney’s talent blew my mind.

This particular clip, below, in which they actually captured “Get Back” slowly being composed by Paul was amazing to watch.

Yea , me too

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back