Pepakura Viewer 3 for Silhouette CAMEO

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by RaideR6672, Apr 16, 2012.

1. RaideR6672

RaideR6672 New Member

I didn't know where to post this, so my apologies that this may be in the wrong forum. I also could not locate the existing CraftROBO thread that is out there somewhere.

Anyways, in the process of getting a friend started into the prop building world, I found out something very cool!

On April 4th 2012, Tamasoft released a new version of Pepakura Viewer 3 for Silhouette CAMEO! Many builders out there have been trying to work with the CraftROBO and other plotters/cutters, and have had some issues with compatibility (and for us in the US, problems with Letter sized paper).

I have a CAMEO and tried out this new updated software and it works like a charm! There's no more rigging software up, or installing outdated drivers, everything works out of the box! I personally will never hand cut my pep files again!

If anyone wants to see it in action, let me know and I can make a video. Good luck to everyone out there!

2. rensole

rensole Active Member

sure i'd love to see it
    and furthermore, what's :
    -craftrobo
    -cameo
    ?

3. MychoPsantis

MychoPsantis New Member

rensole, the craftrobo looks like a printer, but it cuts out the pieces. I remember there being a lot of steps involved in getting it done. I'd love to see how the new one works!

4. davy

davy Well-Known Member

hey i have the new cameo and i can say it works very good

5. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Im interested in seeing a video too...
    My first thought when I saw the Cameo... Nice to see Pep Designer jump on this!

-Skyler101

6. davy

davy Well-Known Member

7. Deelite

Deelite Active Member

So do you print first then place the paper into the Cameo?

8. The Ronin

The Ronin Well-Known Member

Yup. You print everything from the Pepakura Designer, then set it up in Pepakura Viewer for Cameo, put your printed pages into the cameo and WALA! it cuts it for you! (there's a few more steps, but you get the idea) Basically 30 minutes of prep can save you HOURS of cutting a pep piece.

If I had some extra money to spend, I'd be all over this like a rat on a cheeto.

Shaunbrook7104 likes this.
  9. vader1974

vader1974 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does it work for the Silhouette SD as well? I have never tried any pep but this could get me and the kids started on a project for the summer.

10. RaideR6672

RaideR6672 New Member

And not to mention sore fingers and back (I would always sit on the floor and use scissors to cut my stuff out.)

I believe the Silhouette SD was the same product as the CraftROBO, just a US version. There is a tutorial out there on how to use the SD with Pepakura Viewer for CraftROBO. Here's a link: Cutting out your Pepakura Creations using the Silhouette SD - YouTube

The problem with SD is for some reason you had to trick the program into thinking you were using A4 sized paper if you are using Letter sized.

I am not sure if the new software is backwards compatible or not... I never had an SD.

11. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Thanks for the vid Davy... can you put up some pics of the parts cut out?

This makes things rather interesting for pep builders! :)

-Skyler101

12. Bugs

Bugs New Member

will any other cutters work? as there are a few on the market but finding a CAMEO or an SD (the only ones i have been told will work with pepakura designer) for less than $300 anyway is proving a problem

13. RaideR6672

RaideR6672 New Member

Tamasofts website says no other plotters/cutters are supported. They are expensive, so unless you are a seriously hardcore prop builder, or in my case, your wife is really into scrap booking, it may be hard to fork out the cash.

14. Bugs

Bugs New Member

Thank you.. yeah i have seen a couple and i'm keeping my eyes open so something may come up yet

15. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have a Silhouette SD and we now have a Pep Viewer from CraftROBO that works great.
    I just posted in the Pepakura sticky thread about the A4/Letter trick in case you're interested to read my results.

Also I just noticed in the video that the Cameo is much much slower to cut than the SD .. or my machine is on crack or something! :)

16. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Is the SD faster, but only takes smaller paper?
    Im interested in getting a cutter to work on some pep, cutting stuff out takes the fun out of the project...

-Skyler101

17. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Double post

18. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't know too much about the other machines, I barely know about mine! I basically saw it here, in Surreal Studios' thread and had to get it!!

It litterally saves you hundreds of hours of cutting!!! I always cut on 8.5/11 card stock, but its tray is much larger than that .. so I'm not sure if I could or not use bigger paper .. I probably will never try it as I'm quite happy with my current setup!

Now, my machine is certainly faster than what I saw in the video .. dunno how this can be possible. And btw, I bought it used on Ebay for 180$ shipped to me in Montreal, from Ontario. Quite a deal if you ask me!

19. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

I've got my Cameo today, and I've tried cutting with both the Pep for Cameo, and from the DXF files in Studio. Neither is perfect. Was hoping you could help. I unfolded Sharkman for letter, and made sure the tab numbers were on. When I export it to DXF the numbers are gone when I open them in Studio. I printed a test sheet, and it was pretty accurate. Good enough that if it had the edge IDs I'd be done.

So I tried using Pep Viewer for Cameo (which took some doing, but that's for another post), and the accuracy of the cuts gets worse going right to left. The shapes on the far right are cut right on the line, but as the cutter moves to the shapes on the left it seems to get off by several pixels. Maybe the distance between registration marks is off? PVfC says width=195 length=259, and I put those numbers into the controller setup.

Here is a closeup of the right side (good cuts):
    [​IMG]
    And here is the other side (bad cuts):
    [​IMG]

Have you had this problem? I don't know how to make the edge ID show up in the DXF, or make Viewer cut right across the whole page.

20. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

I was able to solve the accuracy problem by adjusting the width measurement in the distance between registration marks. PVfC says the width should be 195mm for this model, but I had to bump it up 196mm.

It's now cutting just as (or more) accurately than I can by hand. It takes about three minutes to cut a page of very complex shapes. Time to get pepping!!

Here is a shot of the output, still stuck to the Cameo sticky mat:[​IMG]

I'll make a separate thread on what I had to do to get Windows 7 to recognize the Cameo controller as a printer driver.

21. -VERTIGO-

-VERTIGO- Well-Known Member

Excellent that you got the problem solved :), my Cameo is arriving TODAY so I'm rather excited to "play" with it. I'm rather interested to see how it will go for me, as I have to set up on my Mac, then using Parallels get it to recognize it as a printer. However I'm sure it's worth the extra effort!

22. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

You may run into the same issues I did, getting the Windows machine to recognize the driver. Although, if you're running a VM you're probably already technically astute enough to solve the issue, but I'll post what happened to me for those that can't get it working.

When you install Pepakura Viewer for Cameo, it installs the controller software for Cameo. However, Windows doesn't always pick up the driver. So after you've printed your registered sheets, and you want to "print" to the Cameo cutter, it's not listed in the printer selection drop down.

Go to Control Panel -> Devices and Printers:

You'll probably see a device in the "Unspecified" section called "USB Printer Support".

[​IMG]

Right click on that device, and select "Properties".

Select the SilhouetteCameo, and then "Properties"
    [​IMG]

Then you need to click on "Change Settings" and select the "Driver" tab:
    [​IMG]

Then click "Update Driver". If this button is grey'd out, you didn't hit "change settings". Back up one step.
    [​IMG]

After you click "Update driver" pick the option to select a driver and browse to the Silhouette CD (I don't have a screen shot of this).

It should find these two drivers, pick the correct one for your operating sytem (32 or 64 bit):
    [​IMG]

You may hit the security warning, so select "Install Anyway":
    [​IMG]

And your Cameo should be installed. It should now show up in the "print" pulldown in Pep Viewer for Cameo.

23. -VERTIGO-

I won't be needing that but it will definitely help other folks; thanks! Since I have a VM set up, I install it on the OS X side of things and Bonjour Print Sharer makes it available on Windows, otherwise there's no way I can print from Windows. Though I may set up the Cameo on my Windows 7 desktop, I haven't decided quite yet.

24. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

At the risk of derailing the thread, doesn't Parallels allow you to connect any USB peripheral to the VM (disconnect from host)? I run VMWare Fusion on my mac, and I don't think I've run across any USB peripheral I couldn't expose to the Windows VM.

25. -VERTIGO-

It should, however seen as the Cameo is a "printer" it may just have to tunnel through Parallels via the Bonjour Printer Share, to the Mac. It really doesn't add to the complication, I just have to make sure it's a shared printer if I can't directly print from Windows via Parallels.

26. rickyrobot

rickyrobot New Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  27. mpick67

mpick67 Member

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me. I'm using Pepakura Viewer 3 for the Silhouette CAMEO and I'm having problems getting accurate cuts.

I've played around with the "Distance Between Registration Marks" and I've gotten considerably more accurate cuts, but I'm still having trouble getting it to cut right. Also, I can't seem to get the
    Silhouette CAMEO to cut on the dashed lines. I went through a ton of cardstock just to get this far. If anyone has some pointers on how to fix these problems I would really appreciate it!

I've included some pictures of my setting and the results I'm getting from them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Spartan 127

Spartan 127 New Member

OMG! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!!! I've been trying to work it out for about the last 2 hours. . . . My PC wouldn't recognize the cameo. Thanks again.

29. 29autumn

29autumn New Member

I am trying to do this on Win 8 and it won't install an unsigned driver.... omg I am dying... I want win xp back. so I can't even play with my silhouette cameo because the computer refuses to install the driver... and all the fixes I've been trying are just helping me restart my computer 17 times without results...

giving up again.. will try again tomorrow...

am incredibly jealous of those that have the cameo up and running...

so jealous

30. Steelhart

Steelhart New Member

For Windows 8:

OPTION 1

Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator).

On the command prompt type BCDEDIT /Set LoadOptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and enter.
    A message will say "Command successful"
    Now type BCDEDIT /Set TESTSIGNING ON.

If, for any reason, you want to change back to the default, repeat the steps but with the commands
    BCDEDIT /Set LoadOptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and
    BCDEDIT /Set TESTSIGNING OFF

Restart the computer.

this changes the driver situation to work like in windows 7 and you will still have to allow the unsigned driver to be installed but it won't just automatically cancel the installation.

Option 2

Open Settings (move your mouse to the top or bottom right corner of the screen and wait for the charm bar to appear, then click the Gear icon)
    Click "Change PC Settings"
    Click "General"
    Scroll down, and click ‘Restart now’ under "Advanced startup"

Click "Troubleshoot"
    Click "Advanced Options"
    Click "Windows Startup Settings"
    Click Restart

When your computer restarts, select "Disable driver signature enforcement" from the list (on my PC it was option 7)

You can now load the unsigned driver and after resetting your computer it should still work.

31. Juicebox

Juicebox Active Member

Are those fixes for windows 8 to recognize the cameo drivers or for the pepakura viewer for cameo silhouette to work with windows 8. I have never had problems with my silhouette and windows, I'm just waiting for the viewer to work with windows 8.

32. Roberto Cerves

Roberto Cerves New Member

Hello guys. I bought a cameo silhouettes but I have a problem with the files in the cutting of Darkside501, the cut is accurate but not complete, as you can see from my pictures. I tested other pep files that cuts correctly. Specific use ISO A4 paper and the blade exclude a part of the design and the cameo finishes work. Cutted with Pepakura Viewer Cameo full version. Tested on all files pep Darkside. Thanks in advance to all .. I'm desperate. Sorry for my bad english ..
    View attachment 177447

33. Roberto Cerves

Roberto Cerves New Member

Carry a previous conversation to better understand anyone wants to help me .. Thanks in advance
    II can not verify because Pep designer asks me for a password.. How can I do? How to convert?

yes

Yes, ISO A4 with cutting mat

Both on screen and when I print (A4) I see the image below. I have highlighted the area that does not cut.
    P.s. When resize pep on 50% all cut correctly

TNX TNX :cry

View attachment 177579

34. Juicebox

Juicebox Active Member

it looks to me like you have a paper setting wrong somewhere. there are many places to change paper setting and you need to go through all of them and make sure they are all set to a4. I think there are atleast 2 or 3 just in the cameo controller.

35. Murdoch

Murdoch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry for intruding, but what is cameo? Is that a individual program that whorks along side with pep viewer3? Thanx GM

36. The Armorer

The Armorer Well-Known Member

THIS THREAD IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HELPFUL!!! I'm a computer retard, but following instructions I've got it to work! Now me to get the rest to work ;)

-Seth

37. uji

uji New Member

It is very helpful.

38. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

For those having trouble with complete cuts, and all else being equal, try uploading your files to the SD card, and cut that way. It's worlds apart from using the USB cable. :thumbsup

As for accurate registration, well, I just do away with printing it to begin with and just assemble it in conjunction with the Pep viewer. It saves headache, frustration, and time messing with all that nonsense.

39. The Armorer

So basically, you just skip all the printing and just cut it? Like how people don't print out the assemble line numbers? I may give it a go... I haven't been able to get them to line up and I've been working on this b**** for three days now :(

EDIT! Pepakura exports into Bitmap... so will it be possible to align the paper after being printed, with a bitmap image uploaded to the regular cameo program?...

-Seth

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  40. The Armorer

Hey, sorry for going on and on about this, but for anyone else having problems with this, found this on the 405th (my hood) and it has helped me IMENSELY)

Silhouette Cameo Cutting Pepakura Demo - YouTube

thanks goes to Spartan 127, one of many great inspirations from that forum. (the same guy with the dog for his avatar that posted a couple posts above ;) )

-Seth

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  41. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

42. Megatron

Megatron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

43. tigertown11

tigertown11 New Member

Could you please give me detailed instructions for 'Window7?
    my Cameo is not connecting with my computer. It recognizes an "unspecified" device on the USB but it says the driver is not installed, but when I "update" it, it says that the most current one is already installed.
    So confused. Thanks.

44. helbrell

helbrell New Member

Hi all, I have some answers to using the cameo, first of all, if you want to create the fold perfs it is simple, I see some folks still cannot get it to do this, in the line section add the dash in red, enter the length of the dash cut to 2mm then enter the uncut dash to 3 mm.... next and most important... save the settings some where safe on your drive, then reload the settings, this will work and create the fold perfs you all so need. you will have to load the settings for the perfs everytime you have to restart the pepakura viewer for cameo. Now a really really big useful tip..... are you fedup with trying to line the cutting blade over that darn square... sometimes take 2 - 5 attempts.... well I have solved this issue at last and now my cameo auto looks for the locators on the sheet.

All you do... and do try this you will be amazed.... print off you item as normal....but mount it on you cutting sheet landscape not like before as portrait....change no other settings at all... but only what I put here... load your printout on to the carrier sheet to the top left edge of the grid corner, this puts the small square in the top left corner, load the sheet into you Cameo, do not worry if you blade moves to the far right... this is not a issue... now enter into the cutting menu as normal, by sheet number and so forth like you have done before... do try to remember to load the perf settings I mentioned above if this is your first run you only need do this once until you close the viewer cutter.... now we come to the magic...and boy you will all love this... when you enter into the controller you blade will move across to the right as normal.... if you are using A4 card like me then first set your settings in millimetres (MM) to width 190 and length to 277 or to what ever the settings are on the 2D screen layout.... these measurements do work and are spot on, next and the most important is click on the landscape button, yes I know this seem strange but trust me... the blade will now move back to the left side... next tick the boxes "registration marks" and "search registration marks" now click on "registration mark reading" and you will be amazed to see it auto find and log the registrations first time.

Now exit the controller and click ok until it start cutting and watch it.... it cuts spot on the line.... but best of all no playing around looking for the pesky square to line up with manually.... now the machine does it for you.... it takes me less than a minute to set up between cuts. Another tip is if you fine on some sheets it is missing the line this is due to the parts are laid out in away that up sets the cutter... simple move them slightly in Pepakura designer and try again... you should fine it cuts ok then. Just a note about the perf setting, sometimes when you load your saved setting the machine seems not to notice once in a while and just cuts out without doing the perfs..... simple reload the already cut sheet like before... load perf setting again even if it is showing it was loaded before, delete the line cut leaving the red perf line setting on it's own... then go through the normal setup I stated in the controller then set the machine off and it will simple just do the perfs only and not recut the cut parts again... once done...when you get on to the next sheet load your perf settings and u should fine all will be fine from for rest of the cut outs.
    I hope this info helps all you cutter folks

45. Grenex

Grenex Active Member

Swink6996 likes this.
  46. GhostMinion

GhostMinion Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, this guide is a must! Thank you for making the guide, I was pulling my hair out trying to get it to work right. Once I read it, I was good to go! ANYONE WITH A CAMEO NEEDS TO READ THIS GUIDE!!!

Swink6996 likes this.
  47. Dagnie

Dagnie Well-Known Member

I would like to marry my Silhouette Cameo.
    Just saying.

The fact that it cuts and scores in a matter of seconds just takes hours off my lining and cutting routine.

The guide was a major help in getting started!

48. Swink6996

Swink6996 New Member

MAN OH MAN!!! Thank you SO much!! I got my Cameo for Christmas and figured since my intelligence is slightly higher than the average chimps, that I could piece together all the tutorials ive read or watched... WRONG!!! 12 HOURS I fooled around until I was ready to break it!! (common chimp behavior!).. 5 minutes reading your guide and I just cut my first perfectly cut and scored pep!! Youre the best man! I owe you a drink!

PS- Its a sight to see this bad boy in action isn't it!?

49. Grenex

Grenex Active Member

Any time you are in the NJ/NY Area you can definitely buy me that drink! LOL

Yeah, it is awesome to see this thing cut those pages. :)