Pepakura Dredd Helmet Build

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Miggins, May 10, 2015.

  1. Miggins

    Miggins New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    Just a quick post to thank Dung0Beetle and Blaxmyth for their Dredd Helmet Pepakura file.

    This is the first pep i have ever attempted and i learnt a lot (and made a lot of mistakes).
     

    Attached Files:

    p00k1333 likes this.
  2. Uridium

    Uridium Well-Known Member

    Trophy Points:
    935
    Looks great. Good job.
     
  3. RogueTrooper

    RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

    Trophy Points:
    935
    Excellent work!.....I sold my finished build before I got to the second layer.....see my sig....your build looks good....did you enjoy the sanding of body filler...???:lol
     
  4. MaarekSteele

    MaarekSteele Member

    Trophy Points:
    112
    Wow, such a nice finish.
    This was inspirational,. I need to finish mine,. but I got stuck in the sanding,. Ohhh the sanding...

    How did you get the nice extra hight,. I see some squares there,. Is it just wood? Did you cover them or remove them?
     
  5. Miggins

    Miggins New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

    RogueTrooper - The bodyfiller was "uncooperative" :D. Joking aside I bought a mouse sander during making this and that was a godsend. It was also the first time I have used spot filler, really helped sharpen the lines.

    MaarekSteele - Extra Height? Do you mean the raised edge with foam tape (third image from top left) I used those squares (which were just foam tape) as height markers while applying the bondo. This was one of my many mistakes and removed them for further bondo applications
     
  6. johnojodo

    johnojodo Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

    Trophy Points:
    362
    Looks really good, restarting mine this weekend after it went very very wrong
     
  7. Miggins

    Miggins New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    It seems like a few forum members that have tried this, but got sick of the sanding, sanding and more sanding (did I mention the sanding?).

    I started this around xmas and left it alone for months because I was sick of looking at it. I remember times when the paper model would show through the bondo and the more you sanded it down the rougher it got. I had to grind out the offending area with a dremel and refill it with auto filler.

    Then there was time I masked off and spray painted the red "band". It went on perfectly - sharp lines, no overspray. Then I went over it with clear coat and the surface went all "crackly". I think I was painting when it was too cold. I was so angry I nearly smashed the helmet.

    I totally understand the sentiments of the above comments.Before this I had done a few foam pepakura helmets (Batman, Captain America) and I can see why its become popular. A LOT faster and easier than the cardboard/bondo method
     

Share This Page