Pepakura Cyclops Visor(90's version) Updated 02/09/14 file released!

WarDarkFox

After downloading and crafting many of the pepakura files that other RPF members have made, I've finally decided to sit down and work on my own. I'm starting out and It's taken me a while to learn the ins and out of the software but I think I have it.

Cyclops has been a favorite character of mine since watching the cartoon in the 90's so a simple project for me was to make his visor. There are a few floating around but out of them, none have been very forming to the face. I want to address that and make a visor that not only can be used as his 90's version, but when edited also be for his other costume variants(except his latest X mask)

So I have finished modeling the visor and have unfolded a test version. I want to be happy with it before putting it out for people to make. I'll be making changes to the file as I go depending on if the model needs tweeking or if there is a different way to unfold it to make assembly easier. In the mean time here is a preview of the two flavors I have.

One with the lens area expressed and one without.
doubleversion.png

Update 2/9/14
-Today is the day my friends, I have finished the model and the unfolding for my Cyclops visor. Here it is Cyclops_90Visor.pdo
Cyclops_90Visor.jpg

-The Default size is set at 22 which is about 6.8in form the inside of the ear pod to the other. I did this using myself as the model when i tried it on to see how well it fit. It does not fit snug, this was purposely done so that the person making this could adjust how much bend they needed to properly fit their face, and then using a strip of card stock connect the ear pods in a way so that it will hold the needed bend during the resin stage. I suggest about 2-3 strips of card stock, that is also why there are no supports between ear pods due to every persons features being different.
-In order to make the file easier to build and give it better strength during the resin/fiberglass stage. I decided to not remove the beam opening and keep it whole. Then it could be cut out after the file had hardened. In the preview about the areas lined in red are ones you do not cut. The ear pod circles just for ease of build and on the visor the red is where you will cut in order to have you opening(you can cut it one section shorter if you like, i made it to the max opening size)
-There are a few areas that have no tabs, like the inside of the visor where they were extremely small and unnecessary. Instead use Darkside501st's guide for dealing with these. Tabbless Pepakura Building Tutorial - YouTube
-Other than what i have above feel free to contact here me regarding this file, and please I ask that if you do download the file that it be used for pep only. I will be making a 3d file soon but do not want someone other than myself to make one of this obj. Also if this is something that you see yourself making casts of or are going to sell, please ask permission before you do.

Finally Thanks to:
Darkside501st and Adam Vanduyn for looking at my model for pep worthiness and areas to fix
Patrick J Brett for helping me with the unfolding stage(went from 33 parts to 6 with his help lol)

I hope you all enjoy and I look forward to seeing what comes from it. I'm excited to build my own as well.....once the damn weather gets high enough to resin.

Last edited:
Re: W.I.P Cyclops Visor 90's cartoon version

It looks good! If you're going to cut out the visor after pepping, fiberglassing, etc., I think you should use the file without the recession. It will be simpler and help reduce construction time. Just a thought, but again, looks good! I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

It looks good! If you're going to cut out the visor after pepping, fiberglassing, etc., I think you should use the file without the recession. It will be simpler and help reduce construction time. Just a thought, but again, looks good! I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

Yes that was my thinking too, especially without the recession it would give it a bit more strength during fiberglassing. I'm almost finished with a rough build of the visor to see how everything fits but the recession does take time to fit/glue in there. If I'm quick today I'll have pictures of it. then its all a matter of how to unfold, this is my first file so I'm going through piece by piece and have several versions just unfolded differently

Ok I put together a very very rough build of the visor to see how well I did at unfolding, the right scale, length from visor to ear pods, and generally overall ease of putting it together. Here are some pictures of the test build/fit:
IMG_1120.JPGIMG_1121.JPGIMG_1122.JPGIMG_1123.JPGIMG_1124.JPG

Couple things I need to do is
1.) Remove the recession. It looks nice and all but having it not there would make it easier to build and no have issues from fiberglassing and warping. I'm also going to add some supports on the back to give it more strength during Resin/fiberglass
2.) Slight increase to the size of the ear pods. At least for me I would have to stuff mine in a bit, also if ears unrestrained could put a eyeglass arm inside to help the visor sit snug against face(also to run wires for electronics)

and finally
3.) Unfold better. Not bad for first time but could improve to make pieces flow together better

Just a little more work and it will be ready

Last edited:
Re: W.I.P Cyclops Visor 90's cartoon version Updated 01/28/14

Wow, look at all that effort! Nice job!

Thank you!

I have a new print of it unfolded after the changes and going to work on it soon. I may have a 3D print version in the works too, depending onhow well i did with the model, I placed and order with shapeways today and on 2/13-18 I'll know if things worked out

Re: W.I.P Cyclops Visor 90's cartoon version Updated 01/29/14

cyclops preview3.png

I've made a few minor changes to the visor. First I made the ear pods slightly bigger and added a curved connection to between the visor and pods for better strength. 2ndly the recession has been removed in favor of ease of build and to prevent warping during fiberglass. Finally I have/think I'm done unfolding it and the scale is set so I'm going to build it again to see how it flows and if everything checks out I will be releasing it soon.

Last edited:
Re: W.I.P Pepakura Cyclops Visor(90's version) Updated 02/04/14

IMG_1128.JPG

Half way and stopping point for tonight. The one thing I need to get is a small stick to apply glue in all the tight places. Other than that it assembled pretty well with the exception of the ear pod, but that wasn't too bad. The released file will correct and make that easier to pep than what i did.

Re: W.I.P Pepakura Cyclops Visor(90's version) Updated 02/05/14

nice :) looks top notch bud. . .

which reminds me of this picture

1620516_585941104821686_576842469_n.jpg

lookin' forward for more cyclop progress :thumbsup

Re: W.I.P Pepakura Cyclops Visor(90's version) Updated 02/05/14

Lol that's funny and sad at the same time!

Big update to first post so check there!

Here is the where I stand. The visor is all assembled and now awaits for spring in order to begin resin. I will need to put some card stock strips between the two ear pods to simulate the bend i need in order to make it fit my face but will wait to do that when i get ready.

IMG_1130.JPGIMG_1131.JPGIMG_1132.JPG

Well that's it until 75° weather again!

Last edited:
sorry for the late reply. anakin glad you found the file and thanks sauranas for helping point to the first post. Iron Joe, I look forward to seeing it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back