Pepakura Clay Pour Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had myself banned, was tired of the BS going on over there. The staff are lazy, can't maintain the site, and I stated it in a thread over there, plus some vulgar language added into it. The staff had been told by several members, several times that they need to fix up the site, and the staff stated in most of the threads that they would fix the site up, never happened. I'm pretty happy not being a member of the 405th anymore.

Agreed, but let's remember not to turn this thread into a flame war about another site. There are so many bad things I could say about that site, but I'll keep it to myself for the main reason I don't want to give them more of a bad name than they already have. So anyways, back on topic.
Oh and Stealth, if you see this topic posted on 5-20-2010, Dungbeetle states that two people made some kind of tutorial that sounds just like the tutorial that Skylow made, but it sounds like Skylow did'nt credit them either for the idea. How convient. http://www.therpf.com/f11/pepakura-clay-sculpting-86681/ although the links to the threads don't exist anymore, Dungbeetle posted it on 5-20-2010, and Skylow made his thread on 7-28-2010 http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26253-Pepakura-Clay-Pour-helmet-Method , now who did'nt give credit.
Not that I'm trying to argue with you, and I agree with you that I should have given credit to start on this thread , I forgot about it and I went back and editied that and added it in. But looks like Skylow did'nt credit Backbone and Insanetrooper. So there.

Last edited:
Oh and Stealth, if you see this topic posted on 5-20-2010, Dungbeetle states that two people made some kind of tutorial that sounds just like the tutorial that Skylow made, but it sounds like Skylow did'nt credit them either for the idea. How convient. http://www.therpf.com/f11/pepakura-clay-sculpting-86681/ although the links to the threads don't exist anymore, Dungbeetle posted it on 5-20-2010, and Skylow made his thread on 7-28-2010 Pepakura Clay Pour helmet Method , now who did'nt give credit.
. But looks like Skylow did'nt credit Backbone and Insanetrooper. So there.

he didn't mention the source of the method itself ,but it doesn't jusitfy not crediting his own work he put into the tutorial itself.

His scenario is different he stated "I saw this from somewhere"
He let everyone know he didn't come up with the method from the start..
I can respect that.

he wrote out the tutorial from his experience.
That is his tutorial regardless.
He put in the work, wrote up the extra details and took the pics and posted them.

Difference is, you knew the source of your info.
You just copied/pasted his tutorial on here .
I also saw it on "TheHunterslair" where you "forgot" again

If no one said anything, you'd be taking credit for it.
it bugged me since you're picky in regards to wanting credit for your contributions.

It was somewhat hypocritical to do that while everyone was saying "great idea"
It didn't come to mind once to say "oh don't thank me, I got it from here" ?

That's the point. That's all.
I hope you get what I'm saying.

You apologized, that's fine but trying to defend why you almost don't need to now, is not fine.

Thank you for posting Skylow's version of the tutorial in regards to the Clay Pour Method.
It's a great technique

I had myself banned, was tired of the BS going on over there. The staff are lazy, can't maintain the site, and I stated it in a thread over there, plus some vulgar language added into it. The staff had been told by several members, several times that they need to fix up the site, and the staff stated in most of the threads that they would fix the site up, never happened. I'm pretty happy not being a member of the 405th anymore.

also, yes, the 405th is not the same as it used to be. I did agree with some of your points as I told you personally, but it's where most of us got our start and to leave the way you did was pretty disrespectful imo.

I just hope you don't do this here one day when things don't go your way.
Enough is Enough

At least respect the place that made you get into the hobby.
If you didn't like it, you should have just left without such a scene.

Last edited:
good technique however there is now an even better clay for pouring...well in my opinion. i would go with monster clay from The Monster Makers - 866-521-(SPFX)7739 - Halloween Latex Mask Making Kits, Fang Kits, Special Effects Supplies and more in the u.s. , or mouldlife in the u.k. there are a few very good benefits to this stuff. firstly it has a lower melting point , but still has great integrity when cooled and is nice and firm, perfect for those hard edges. secondly is the density. it is a less dense clay so you get much more for your money and postage is lower. its now a firm fave in the make up f.x. world.... n.s.p. is still cool though. i'd give monstermakers a call and ask for a sample and try it. Monster Clay - (5 lb. Block) - Clay Mediums - SCULPTING & MOLDING - The Monster Makers

I would agree with the Monster Maker Clay - I have been using it for over a year now for making masks and at first I hated it, but once you learn to use it you'll fall in love with it.

I use a crock pot to melt it - once melted it has a melted milkshake consistency to it and it can be brushed on or poured easily - and once removed from the heat it sets up pretty quick.

When nice and warm it has a taffy like feel to it.

I will be trying the clay method with my Cyrax helmet when I get the time - but instead of just pouring it in and slushing it around I think I will be painting the first few layers in - just seems a little safer than hoping all my seams and glue holds :) The after the first few layers I will pop it into the fridge for 10-15 minutes to harden the clay - then proceed to pour the rest.

I would think plaster would soak the paper and fall apart...if you maybe sealed the inside somehow...but I think the main purpose of this is to be able to shape and sculpt the piece afterward which would be more difficult with plaster.....then molding the plaster sculpt would be another issue.

I would make the pep out of milk jug plastic. This is an awesome idea, but I'm just learning this process and cant afford silicone to make a master mold that this would require. I'm looking for some practice, and cheap alternatives.

It might work, if you coat the outside with a very thin coat of fiberglass resin to keep it from falling apart. Or mix up the plaster thick instead of watery. Like a cake batter consistency. I don't think you can use the plaster with a silicone mold, unless it's a non-inhibiting silicone. But it could be one way to make the vacuformed visor for something like the Daft Punk helmet.

TUTORIAL COMMENTS:

If the clay is producing smoke then that means it is burning and the heat source is way to high and should be lowered. There is a difference between melting clay and burning it.

Microwave ovens do a wonderful job of melting clay and are fairly quick about. I've used an older one in the past and was able to liquify my clay without any issues. Yes, melting clay will pretty much ruin whatever it is you are using unless you want to spend a massive amount of time cleaning and scrubbing. When doing my clay melts I used pyrex in the past which worked out great also.

@Cal

Plaster while moist does not dry out as is commonly thought but has an exotermic reaction to set which basically means it is a chemical process that produces heat as a by product. You can layup plaster in thick layers as was suggested earlier by Pepmaster but that also introduces additional concerns regarding moisture and heat. Weight will be a problem with either plaster of the clay but the clay has an advantage int hat you can slowly build up layers that will bind to each other. Plaster has a tendency to not want to bind to plaster without additional prep and mechanical help.

While clay might be more expensive up front you will be able to reuse it many times with minimal loss and you would just have to replace a bit of it every once in awhile.

For a clay pour the thickness only has to be deep enough to support any smoothing and detail work without going through.

Dean

I would not suggest coating the outside with resin as it makes it very hard to remove the pep from the clay afterwards, If you do require extra reinforcement i suggest a bit of tape on the outside to strengthen the tabs. but ONLY on the outside as tape will show up as indents on the clay if you put them on the inside. Also speaking from experience dont let it sit while waiting for the clay to harden and cool :p I did that and ended up with a dent on my helmet at the top, just keep it moving and dont let it put all its weight on one part for extended periods of time :)

Pepmaster/Vagabond/Nintendude, This isn't the first time you have done something like this. You were banned from Cosplay.com AND the superhero costuming forum, as well as the 405th for saying the Portal gun made by Volpin was your work. You said you had changed your ways after the stunts you pulled in the PIF thread as well as never delivering on the masks you offered in the Junkyard two years ago. Looks like that was another "untruth".

These are YOUR words, sir, direct from the 405th in regards to your banning.
You did not ask to be banned THEY banned YOU

Hello everyone

As some of you may know, John Wieger (Nintendude) was banned from the forums. I am good friends with him and he wanted me to post this message as a apology to all of the members here. Thank you for reading-

"I've been with the 405th since 2007 helping members, giving away my files, promoting the site through every panel I've done at 8 conventions so far. Going to be running the first 405th table at a convention in September to promote the 405th, and today the day after my birthday I don't just get slapped in the face, I get a full on kick in the nuts when I discover that I've been perm-banned from the site. Why might you ask? Because I used another members photos to try and get commissions on another site. Since then I've made apologies to those people and I've removed my commission ads. I've also contacted the staff of that forum and told them if they want to ban me for my actions then they can.
But to ban me from the 405th after all I've done, after all I've helped over one incident I'm given a perm ban. I don't get to explain myself to any of the 405th mods or admins, I don't get a warning or a temp ban I get a perm ban. Why would I use another member's photos to try and get a commission because I was simply too lazy to go looking for photos of my own. I have photos of props I've made in the past, I've made a ODST pistol for Steven R. On the 405th, I've made multiple other creations. But I was just too lazy and too stupid so I used someone else's photos to do the ad with. The only reason why I did any of that was because I was desperate. I lost my father earlier this month and I ran out of options so the only thing I could do was that to try and make funds to get out for his funeral services which now I'll miss.
If I need to make a apology here then so be it. I apologize to anyone here that I might have hurt with my actions I know it won't make it right if I do give a apology but at least I get a little relief in doing so. I have depression problems, and doing this to me has hurt pretty bad, I consider the 405th to be a second home, one where I can communicate with friends and people I consider family since I don't have much left. By perm-banning me that has been taken away and all it has done is make my depression and sadness worse. Being banned from Cosplay.com I could have taken, but perm-banning me from the 405th is like you're cutting my throat. I'm giving this message to JBetts to post on my behalf.

Thank you -"

Not only did you try to rip off Volpin, you did the same to Goosebot5000 who is a member here and the SCF, (Here is a link to his complaint about you http://thesuperherocostumingforum.com/topic/5362/Member-Problem-Complaint)

Last edited:
I am going to politely ask you and Stealth to remove comments not relevant to this thread, if you do not I'll have to bring a moderator into it, if anything I'll ask to have the thread closed. What I have done in the past has been resolved, and the subjects do not need to be brought up here. I have been doing very well to keep my mood in check. And this thread was only posted to help people that cannot sculpt and work with pepakura. And this thread is here to help people, not to put my actions in the past on trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back