Pepakura Bio

crawjaw

Sr Member
Came across a template for a Pepakura Bio and thought I'd have a go. It was supposed to be light relief from other work I was doing or so I thought.
Anyone doing this or similar needs the patience of a saint, the eyesight of a hawk and the manual dexterity of a juggling Swiss watchmaker. Takes ages to cut it out and assemble the first time you try this technique, but no doubt is easier the next time - there won't be a next time.

The final product is photographed on my resin cast Predator but it doesn't sit properly as expected. Firstly my cast has an open mouth and secondly it's a shade too small. However a few adjustments here and there plus reinforcing with plaster or resin could give me a reasonable Bio. That was never the intention but it does prove with a bit of patience anyone can have their own Bio without any sculpting ability. Same applies for any bits of armour, provided you get hold of the templates.

Pepakura--_08-15-2009_4442.jpg
Pepakura--_09-05-2009_4456.jpg
Pepakura--_09-03-2009_4437.jpg

Pepakura--_08-15-2009_4442.jpg

Pepakura--_09-05-2009_4456.jpg

Pepakura--_09-03-2009_4437.jpg

Looks like you did a good job with that thing man. Get some bondo on it to smooth out the edges and it'll look even better.

I hear you on the folding...I'm currently working on an Ironman helmet, and some of the folds on this thing are insane.

Nah, I've taken this as far as I can be bothered. Probably end up just throwing it away. Good luck with your Iron Man.

How long did it take you?
Difficult to say as I did bits and then left it for a while. I reckon I spent about one or two nights thinking about it, as I had to rescale the original template and this was the first time I'd tried the technique. Took another evening to cut out all the pieces as you have to cut very accurately to the lines, otherwise the pieces don't fit correctly. Also got to be careful you only cut the solid lines and not the fold lines as sometimes they are very close together. Assembly probably took another 2 evenings but if I were to repeat I would be quicker. Takes a wee bit time to get used to folding the tabs and glueing without getting into a mess. I certainly was much faster doing the right side compared the left. After I'd finished I wondered if it would have been easier without using the tabs.
My eyesight is also not what it was and fatigue can set in rapidly. My saving grace is I have small hands making manipulation a bit easier.

So the simple answer to your question I'd say about 12 hours (ignoring all the thinking and buggering about time).

BTW I found the template from a previous post Bio. If anyone decides to try the template you will need to check dimensions to make sure it fits your mask. I probably spent as much time thinking about using the program and re-scaling as I did constructing.
You can get the progaram at Pepakura Designer

Got it right in one there TheRoguePredator.
If I was making a Bio from scratch I'd sculpt it myself. I was just farting about with a technique I'd never tried before.

****, id rather sling clay than go through that hehe, id take my hat off to you, but i am not wearing one :)
i use this pepakura alot i normaly build the item then fiberglass it then rether than useing bondo or body filler i sculpt over the top with clay it was this bio that i made then sculpted on to make the smasher bio :)

There seems to be whole Pepakura world out there and I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago. Quite amazing the stuff some folk are producing but I'll restrict myself to looking only. Clay slinging is much more fun and far less fiddly. Still deciding whether to sling the bio out or use it for holding crisps :). Not much use to me as a working Bio.

I've got the same bio half completed in my closet. I got sooooo disgusted trying to glue all the finnicky little tabs. Plain white glue wouldn't hold it. Hot glue was too heavy and impeded later folding/attaching. What did you use for an adhesive?

Yes it was a real bas_ard to glue without getting into a mess. I finally ended up using Pritt stick, held the folds together for a couple of seconds and then tapd the back of the folds with masking tape cut into thin strips. You can probably see in the pictures where my hands have got all sticky and the black print has transferred to the mask. Since you've already started you got to finish it.
Heres a link to the glue I'm talking about in case you're noot familiar.
Pritt Stick
Good luck.

I've mad 3 of these 1 was to small, 1 just seemed to disappear and I have one that is half converted into a celtic. I've also done a Halo 3 marine helmet, and I'm planning on doing a complete set of armour to go with it for my little bro. I just used small bits of sticky tape put in place with tweesers to put them together. It's a good way to knock out a bio quickly because you could have it done and wearable in a day. But I think I might try sculping a bio next

That is so creative
I love doing those kinds of papercraft
but, i don't think i would have the patience for something that complex
keep up the good work

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back