Pep software question

Auryn

I apologize if this isn't the right section but I figured since the pep sticky is here it was worth a shot.
I read the entire pep sticky and most other posts I could find, however those all have to do with actual construction and I have a couple of software questions that I have not been able to find the answers to through a search or on the tamakura software qna page.

Please bare with me and if you need to move this post, feel free. I posted this in the pep sticky but I guess noone looks there much.

Here goes
Firstly, thank you everyone for sharing so much knowledge and experience.
I have gone through this whole post, all the tutorials and I still have a couple of questions- but I have questions about the 3d files.

I am currently in the process of deciding wether to spend copious number of hours learning blender and creating my own 3d file of the armor I want to make ( Of course the character I chose has neither a pep file nor a 3d file out in the verse that I can find) or to pay someone I found on elance to create the 3d file for me.

If these questions are answered elsewhere feel free to point my ignorance in the right direction
The questions I have are
1- are there any specific parameters or tips that should be followed in the creation of the 3d file of the armor?
2- should the armor be scaled to my size in the 3d file or later in the pepakura software??
3- once the 3d file is imported to the pep software, will the software unfold the different pieces automatically or will I be doing that by hand??

I understand your position I tried to make my own model in Blender then export it as well. That plan didn't work out so well for me. I would say if you have the means have a professional build it for you.

As for the other question.

1- are there any specific parameters or tips that should be followed in the creation of the 3d file of the armor?
No there is not any parameters for models. Some Pep files come from ripping 3d models form games so the more detail.... The more time it take to make.

2- should the armor be scaled to my size in the 3d file or later in the pepakura software??
You would be able to scale it in the software itself.

3- once the 3d file is imported to the pep software, will the software unfold the different pieces automatically or will I be doing that by hand??
That is the "hard" part. The program can automatically unfold it in to little puzzle pieces. However it is better if you manually cut and move the pieces to take up the lest about of paper. Once you get into the software it is easy enough to learn.

1 - Keep your model in rectangles, not triangles. With modeling, rectangles will come out smoother and be less of a pain to work with in pep. Also do not go overboard on the number of polygons, more polygons means a smoother model but a more difficult pep. Reference existing pep files for ideas on polygon size.

2 - You can scale the armor in pepakura. Only reason to scale while modeling is if you have a sized object you are referencing (ie a model of yourself)

3 - Pepakura will unfold the model as a gigantic mess. You will have to go in and split and combine those pieces into more managable bits.

Thank you both for answering, I was hoping that I wasn't already becoming a total thread killer.
You have given me plenty to think of.
The problem I am having with someone else do it, is that the people I have found have no concept of pep or even modeling, so I don't know how much I cant trust them to build a model that would be feasible to pep.
I am deluding myself that my expertise in Corel Draw will give me a little bit of an advantage in learning blender.

how have I not see that before??
thank you so very very much.
Guess I know what I will be doing tonight while leather dye dries :)
thanks

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back