Pattern program/software.

jamiefrench

I'm brand new here, but after a couple of hours of searching the threads anonymously. I decided to sign up in order to ask a question I'm sure I must have seen the answer to but must have glossed over due to monitor fatigue.

I'm going to have Zentai Zone or Zentai-Zentai construct some custom made body-suits for a video production I'm working on. I have the pattern templates, but I have no idea what software to use in order to create my own custom designs that will utilize said pattern templates.

What are folks using to create all those varied Spiderman patterns, etc. I've seen on this forum?

I run my own moderately successful multimedia production/post production company so money, time and technical knowhow are of no concern, complete control over design is.

Thanx in advance! J.

Aaaaand just before anyone says, Photoshop, that's the answer everyone gives... that's not the part I'm talking about, I'm not talking about altering pre-existing Spiderman patterns. I'm talking about completely original designs. The patterns are obviously 3D in origin and then unfolded in a program. I'm pretty certain all those complicated Spiderman patterns weren't drawn free hand in the hopes that the suit would look right once it was all all sewn together.

Aaaaand just before anyone says, Photoshop, that's the answer everyone gives... that's not the part I'm talking about, I'm not talking about altering pre-existing Spiderman patterns. I'm talking about completely original designs. The patterns are obviously 3D in origin and then unfolded in a program. I'm pretty certain all those complicated Spiderman patterns weren't drawn free hand in the hopes that the suit would look right once it was all all sewn together.
let me get this strqaight, you have a template for creating a bodysuit. And you need to find software that isn't Photoshop to alter the template to add a design? Or you want to know which program created the template in the first template? It's hard to understand what you mean.

I want to know where the template originates from. The patterns I've seen, (mostly Spiderman and some other super heroes) couldn't have been drawn by hand in the hopes that all the textures and details would line up just right... that level of trial and error would be a nightmare. These are obviously "unfolded" 3D models from some sort of sewing software... What's the software?

I hear that an official production used Spidey suit template was scanned, and that template was a flat design just like the other templates are made

A simple question with a complicated answer! I'm not sure if this will be useful, but here is an article (somewhat dated) about the more well-known patternmaking software out there:
http://sewingandstyle.blogspot.com/2012/04/best-software-for-pattern-making.html

And a newer post about kinds of CAD programs and what to look for in a pattern-drafting program:
http://www.clothhabit.com/pattern-drafting-software/

It is expensive, however. The patterns generated by this software will tend to have the same problems as any flat-drafted pattern, that is, it will only provide a general fit based on specific body measurements. If you are working with zentai-suit stretchy fabric, the fit will probably be fine.

As someone who has just started drafting their own sewing patterns, I gotta say: it's way more common, economical, and versatile for the home sewist to draft a block based on their specific measurements and riff different designs off of that. I get why you'd want software to generate patterns for many different people, though. Good luck!

I want to know where the template originates from. The patterns I've seen, (mostly Spiderman and some other super heroes) couldn't have been drawn by hand in the hopes that all the textures and details would line up just right... that level of trial and error would be a nightmare. These are obviously "unfolded" 3D models from some sort of sewing software... What's the software?
In 2002 the Sam raimi spider man franchise started, this is where they got a team to create a pattern and sew the costume. The pattern used is now all over the internet is which has either been traced to make other patterns or just painted over in Photoshop. Hope that helped

you could look into marvelous designer. You already have a pattern? Just trace over it inside Marvelous designer to build up a mesh and do adjustments and simulate the garment to get an estimate of how it will look when draped.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back